Viewing: 21-40 of 50 « PREV 1 2 3 NEXT »

csmcgranahanUntitled Comment

csmcgranahan

Great page! I love the place in winter when the tourist volume is way down.

For hikers or trail runners there are some nice primitive trails that stay away from the main garden area which attracts the lions share of the tourists.
Posted Aug 15, 2005 9:52 am

Ed FUntitled Comment

Ed F

Thanks for the vote. Do you climb here often? Please submit some of your favorite routes if you do. Photos would be awesome, too.

-ed
Posted Aug 15, 2005 1:17 pm

csmcgranahanUntitled Comment

csmcgranahan

Unfortunately, mainly because I don't know anyone to climb with or to learn the ropes from, I've never gotten into technical climbing (Class 3 with a few Class 4 moves is my current limit) although I would love to give it a try.

I have several Garden photos but need to go through them as I don't want to post any touristy ones!

Thanks.
Posted Aug 15, 2005 2:29 pm

Ed FUntitled Comment

Ed F

Cool. Photos would be great, then. Thanks.
Posted Aug 15, 2005 4:33 pm

Ed FUntitled Comment

Ed F

Thanks
Posted Aug 15, 2005 4:50 pm

brentaUntitled Comment

brenta

Excellent page and stunning images. Thanks for posting!

A minor detail: There is duplicate material in "Tourist Gully."
Posted Aug 15, 2005 4:40 pm

Ed FUntitled Comment

Ed F

Thanks for the vote and noticing the error. I just erased the duplicate stuff.

-ed
Posted Aug 15, 2005 4:51 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Never even heard of this place!!??

EXCELLENT page! Thanks for giving me yet another reason to want to visit/climb in CO!

Cheers.
Posted Aug 16, 2005 5:22 pm

Ed FUntitled Comment

Ed F

Thanks for the vote. Glad I could give you a new destination.
Posted Aug 16, 2005 7:36 pm

Ed FUntitled Comment

Ed F

Thanks, Larry.
Posted Aug 17, 2005 3:24 pm

CortezUntitled Comment

Cortez

I think your explanation was sufficient. There is no need to get defensive. I am a bit new to SP and was just making an observation based on my idea of what "summit" & "mountain." mean.

I have just never thought of the Garden of the Gods as a mountain>> just as I would not consider the canyons of GS Escalante to be mountains even though they have good climbing. However, you have convinced me that the city park has a place on SP.

I have nothing against the Garden of the Gods, I actually worked their a couple of years ago.

I have changed my vote accordingly.

Posted Aug 17, 2005 12:53 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

...Garden of the Gods qualify as summits

Not to be rude but who gives a sh*t whether it qualifies as a summit or not? It qualifies for SP. It's a climbing area and an interesting one at that. Don't think a justification is needed - 29 climbers before your vote felt it belongs on SP. Would you exclude El Cap and the routes on it just because it lacks a proper summit? There's tons of climbing/cragging areas similar to this one on SP and they're more interesting than many "true mountains" that involve nothing but a hike up to reach their summit (I have no problem with those either).
Posted Aug 17, 2005 2:54 pm

Ed FUntitled Comment

Ed F

Wow... zero stars. I'm not sure what to say.

Justification? This is a climbing website! Garden of the Gods is a famous place to climb, with hundreds of classic rock climbs. Don't climb technical rock? Fine - then don't use my page.

No summits? Try climbing Montezuma's Tower. You must not have been paying attention when you lived here.

I just checked your user profile. Garden of the Gods is higher than each mountain you have submitted to this website, and all of the routes I've added on Garden of the Gods require much, much more climbing skill than the hike-ups you've submitted from the east coast. By the way, I think your pages are great, and certainly have a place on SP. I just find it ironic that you're slamming a world-class, historical climbing destination when all your pages are walk-ups.

Zero stars... that's pretty cold, man. I put a lot of work into this page and all the routes. Maybe you'll reconsider. Again, this is a climbing website. I could vote zero stars on all your pages just as easily and say that they are just backyard hills.
Posted Aug 17, 2005 3:23 pm

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

Outstanding page. I walked through here with my parents a few years ago, and it was a beautiful area--I'll have to go back sometime to climb...
Posted Aug 17, 2005 2:48 pm