SharonFantastic pics-fantastic area!

Sharon

Great write-up!

BTW, we like to head into Granite Park Chalet via the Highline Trail (which has basically no net elevation gain or loss), and come out via the Loop Trail (which drops elevation rapidly). The best of all worlds, especially as the Loop Trail lost much of it's shade after the 2003 Trapper fire. Hiking uphill w/ a pack is hot enough, even with shade! We park at the Loop, catch the free shuttle up to Logan Pass Visitor's Ctr, then hit the Highline trail from there. Our truck is waiting for us when we come down off the Loop Trail. Works great!

In August 2007, we were surprised to be the only 2 in a Granite Park chalet room that could sleep 6, especially as we knew all rooms had been booked for months. We were advised that this is standard: the Chalet doesn't put you in rooms with people other than those in your party.
Posted Sep 26, 2007 2:57 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Fantastic pics-fantastic area!

Bob Sihler

Thank you for that comment, and it sounds as though you had a pleasant surprise for your stay at Granite Park, too. I was so delighted to have a room all to myself. I had planned to go in by the Loop, but that side of the road was closed because of the fires.
Posted Sep 26, 2007 6:02 pm

FlatheadNativeGotta Try It

FlatheadNative

Okay thanks now I have another route I HAVE to do.
Posted May 11, 2008 9:34 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Gotta Try It

Bob Sihler

The trip is absolutely worth it. Even though I typically don't do things twice except closer to home, this is one I would definitely redo. I might have to try working it in when I'm at the Chalet in July; maybe I can arrive early on my hike-in day and save time for the traverse later.

I finished reworking the page today and put up some more of your shots, by the way.

Also, these look like my final dates for Glacier this summer: July 4-6 at Rising Sun, July 7 and 8 and Granite Park. What I plan from Granite Park is probably way too long for a day trip from the road, but if you're going to be back from that family outing on Saturday or Sunday and would like to do something, let me know. I've got several ideas for climbs those days.
Posted May 12, 2008 2:15 pm

FlatheadNativeRe: Gotta Try It

FlatheadNative

Thanks Bob for including some of my pics in your page. I will be in the area and have vacataion days on the 7 & 8 but have committed to fish for Monster Bull Trout in British Columbia for a portion of the week after the Fourth. If my plans change I will let you know.
Posted May 12, 2008 7:51 pm

TimmyCWhere'd the morning go...?

TimmyC

Oh. I've been sitting here reading your Glacier pages. Dang, I gotta get out to Glacier next year...
Posted Oct 7, 2009 2:22 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Where'd the morning go...?

Bob Sihler

The place is addicting, so consider yourself warned. But there are worse habits to have.
Posted Oct 7, 2009 3:55 pm

GNPgumpyBeautiful!

GNPgumpy

Nicely done!
Posted May 2, 2011 6:44 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Beautiful!

Bob Sihler

Thank you; it seems you have the Glacier bug as well!
Posted May 3, 2011 9:11 am