Gavilan Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Steven Cross

Steven Cross - Jan 5, 2004 1:25 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I look at this steep small mountain every time I go to Flagstaff. I alwayes wondered what it was called and how high it is.

Interesting addition here, but I think it's missing some things. One would be better pics of the peak. A pic without a cactus hiding its summit would be nice.



Thanks for adopting this page and making it better.

desainme

desainme - Jan 5, 2004 6:40 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hi Steve. I've been as far west as the Middle Teton, but my son drove past and took these pictures and I was able to pin down the location. Little hope for me to actually get there anytime soon. Perhaps you can get that non-saguaro obstructed shot on the commute between Phoenix and Flagstaff :-)

desainme

desainme - Apr 9, 2004 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I found this peak from a collection of unannotated pictures my son took. I have never been guilty of going further west than the Middle Teton. I did however determine the location of the peak by scanning both sides of the interstate with the Topozone. Outcome is Gavilan Peak. I did confirm this by finding other supporting photos. So I made a page, not having visited it. It's a bit small but fairly accurate. Some others said they were interested in it after I created it, but I haven't seen any new pix yet.

I thought your rating was a bit adverse.

Martin Cash

Martin Cash - Apr 12, 2004 10:28 am - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Perhaps. I raised it up. Needs a lot of work though.

desainme

desainme - Apr 12, 2004 4:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks, My only pix of the summit involve the big cactus. I am hoping that one of the southwest crew will stop, summit and get some more pix. One person has logged the summit, but I don't know if he has any photos.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jun 18, 2004 1:46 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Add a route and an overview....and climb the freakin' thing before you put up a page!

jenniferdenoya

jenniferdenoya - Dec 4, 2004 7:17 am - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

A little more info would be nice...let me know if you change anything and I'll up my vote to 4 : )

czaplick

czaplick - Jan 31, 2015 8:27 am - Voted 10/10

Warnings on this Peak

This should probably be included in the main peak page:

At the base of this mountain sits StarFlash Ranch, site of a famous raid in the mid 90s by the the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms after owner Chuck Byers was stockpiling a large quantity of explosive, including materials to make grenades and booby traps.
This was swept into the dustbin of history until November 2013 when a man trespassing on the property stepped on an explosive and lost his leg: http://www.abc15.com/news/region-northeast-valley/anthem/new-river-explosion-mcso-bomb-squad-atf-experts-investigate-property
I would avoid any approaches from the south, who knows what else is buried on his property. He actually has his own website for the ranch including a Topo on the property boundaries, which I would sincerely try to avoid: http://www.starflashranch.com/topo.htm

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Gavilan Peak' main page