Getting Ready for Her First Rock Climb

Getting Ready for Her First Rock Climb

Look at the little grin; she's excited! Sandbox Corner (5.4) Great Falls, VA-- 9/22/13
Bob Sihler
on Sep 23, 2013 10:37 am
Image ID: 868925

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Sep 24, 2013 12:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Way to go Bob!

I wish my dad had started me in climbing when I was this young. In fact, this may come as a surprise, my dad was against me getting into climbing. It was my mother who encouraged me to go to the mountains. Neither one of my parents knew I was using ropes for a long time.

Cheers,
Marc

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 24, 2013 1:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Way to go Bob!

Neither of my parents likes my climbing!

But I am liking getting my kids out there. My 9-year-old son is close to doing 5.8 on TR. My daughter is seven in January and struggled through a 5.6 in slippery shoes for her second climb but was very proud of herself after doing it (as was I). Winter is coming and climbing will mostly end around here then, but in the spring I will get her some rock shoes.

I'm trying to talk my wife into learning to belay so that both kids can climb at once. There's a third kid, just turned five, waiting in the wings, too.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Sep 24, 2013 1:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Way to go Bob!

Wow, a family of climbers!

I've been to your area couple times and worked out at a Rock Gym not far from Falls Church. I can't remember the name but it's a great place to stay in shape during the cold season.

anita

anita - Sep 24, 2013 1:42 pm - Voted 10/10

adorable

great shot of you both; your daughter is adorable!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 25, 2013 8:24 am - Hasn't voted

Re: adorable

Thanks, Anita. She is unfathomable and exasperating but also my favorite little creature in the world.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Sep 25, 2013 12:00 pm - Voted 10/10

I see what you have done there...

you have the climbing shoes and she has to send it in sneakers. You are so much taller Bob you probably don't need the extra handicap for a few years yet!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 26, 2013 2:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I see what you have done there...

Shhh...and don't mention that I had her in old Keens with the tread almost completely worn down!

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis - Sep 25, 2013 9:20 pm - Voted 10/10

This is precious!

POTW. This is a good message sharing the flame, passing the torch.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 26, 2013 2:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: This is precious!

Thanks! But I hope I still have many climbs left in me as well!

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Sep 29, 2013 4:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Parents...

Glad to see you passing a good tradition on! I was the first climber in my family. The first time I went rappelling with a youth group, my dad told me that if I broke a leg to not come running to him. Pun aside, he was always a bit nervous about me doing things with ropes. However, he was also the one to take me up my first Fourteener (Keyhole Route, Class 3, Long's Peak, Colorado) and the mountain bug has never quite left me. I am grateful to my dad for giving me a great gift!

Cheers,

Hans

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Oct 4, 2013 9:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Parents...

I hope my kids will feel the same way!

2 Bees

2 Bees - Oct 1, 2013 2:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Love it when kids climb

Great to see others thinking about kids ( all kids ) and teaching them how much fun they can have.
I started my boy at 3 how to climb at Smith Rock a few times. Then the next year, we went to the old Portland Rock Gym. My first time to a gym after climbing outdoors for 20 years, I did not know the ratings, but it did not stop my boy from running up 80% of the routes. At the end of our 2 hrs. there, I had notice a group of climbers watching my son playing "Spider-Man" ( swing back and forth on repel ) coming down and they came over and asked how old was he and how they wished their parents had got them into climbing when they where younger. Then these two fit climbers said " do you know, that's a 5.10b route that we have as yet to master, and your boy walked right up it, I'am going home to cry in my beer".
He climbs 5.11's now at 13. I never made it past 5.10c.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Oct 4, 2013 9:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Love it when kids climb

My son, who is 9, is about to pass me. I need to step up my game!

Kiefer

Kiefer - Oct 2, 2013 2:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Adorable!

This is SUCH a great picture, Bob! She looks sheepish. She probably won't forget this day for a very long time!! :o)

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Oct 4, 2013 9:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Adorable!

She was a little sheepish, and she got a little psyched out at times, but she ended up doing really well and wants to do it again!

Viewing: 1-15 of 15