Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.89320°N / 10.66620°E
Additional Information Elevation: 11007 ft / 3355 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

geographical classification: Eastern Alps > Oetztal Alps > Glockturm

mirror picture of Glockturm...typical shape of the "bell tower"

Glockturm ("bell's tower") is a major mountain in the western Oetztal Alps. It is the main mountain of the 20-km-long so-called Glockturm-ridge that separates the Kaunertal valley from the Inn valley and that starts at the Weisseespitze near the Weisskugel.

The Glockturm can be climbed from both sides, from Kaunertal or from Inntal. From Kaunertal you can do this as a daytrip, because the pay road to the summer ski resort of the Kaunertal allows a high starting point. I recommend this for a ski tour in winter and spring - and it's very popular.

If you go there in summer you will probably look for unspoiled nature and want to relax in the mountains. Then I recommend climbing Glockturm from the Inn valley side. The Hohenzollernhaus is a very pleasant hut, far away from the next village, not crowded as many huts at better-known mountains. The next day the ascent to the Glockturm demands climbing a little glacier and some scrambling to the summit, but it is not too difficult and suitable for beginners. The summit is the best viewpoint for the Gepatsch glacier, which is the biggest glacier of the Oetztal Alps.

Obviously the name of the mountain comes from it's shape.

climbing history

Glockturm as seen from the...view from Hohenzollernhaus - an elegant horn

First ascent by Ltd. Poeltinger, a military mapmaker in 1853
First ascent for touristic reasons by Franz Senn and guide Gabriel Spechtenhauser in 1870
Both parties used the east side
First descent to the west to the Inn valley by Dr. Theodor Petersen and Alois Ennemoser on September 26th 1876

Getting There

Next airport: Innsbruck
Next town is Landeck. From there follow the main road which which runs to the italian border at the Reschen Pass.
For the Kaunertal approach you leave this road at the village Prutz and follow the Kaunertal valley
For the Inntal approach you drive until the village Pfunds. (official homepage)

If you come from Italy, you will cross the Reschenpass and follow the main road direction to Landeck until Pfunds or Prutz.

Red Tape

west side: driving with your car is only allowed until half of the Radurschtal valley to the parking site for Hohenzollernhaus. There is a misleading sign near Pfunds that the road would not be allowed to use - but you can ignore it!

east side: The toll for using the Kaunertal glacier road is 19 EUR for each car. But rumors tell that there is no fee, if you pass the toll station early enough in the morning. So starting early maybe saves money!

When To Climb

an ascent with ski from the Kaunertal pay road can be done the whole winter if conditions fit - from November to May.
From end June to end of September is best time on foot - it depends on the amount of snow in the past winter.

Camping / accomodation

Hohenzollernhaus (2123 m)near Hohenzollernhaus

official campsites you find at the villages. At the mountain climbers normally use one of the huts:

west side: climbers usually use the Hohenzollernhaus (2123 m) (see normal route from Inntal valley)

east side: the climb is usually done on a daytrip from the pay road. At the road, shortly behind the Gepatsch reservoir there is the Gepatschhaus (1928 m)

Mountain Conditions

I'll look for webcams...

other possibilities on west side

nice hiking in the upper...Radurschltal valley

From Hohenzollernhaus I can recommend climbing the Nauderer Hennesiglspitze (3045 m), following a marked trail along the upper - and very nice - Radurschltal valley. The summit is on the border to Italy and offers a fine view especially to the Weisskugel.

Another tipp is to cross the Rotschragenjoch pass near the end of the Huettekar ferner for a descent along the remote Kaiserbergtal valley to the Gepatsch reservoir.

maps and books

Map:
Alpenvereinskarte (map of german alpine club) 1:25.000 Nr. 30/4 "Nauderer Berge", available at www.dav-lifealpin.de

guidebook in german:
Ă–tztaler Alpen by Walter Klier, 13th edition 2002, ISBN 3-7633-1123-8, 38,90 sFr; 22,90 Euro

book in german:
Pause, 50 Gipfeltouren in den Ostalpen, Munich 1988, ISBN3-405-13519-2, out of print

External Links

  • Ski routes
    Description of the two ski routes (in German)


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

GlockturmkammMountains & Rocks