Goat Mountain Comments

mrchad9Elevation Data

mrchad9

The elevation listed on this page for Goat Mountain (12,212 feet) has been obtained from the current NGS Datasheet, and is more accurate than the 12,207 feet listed on the 1992 The Sphinx quad. More information on benchmarks and their elevations is available here.
Posted May 18, 2010 5:10 am

mrchad9Re: Very nice page

mrchad9

Thanks Mike- I appreciate that. It's a fantastic area to visit, well worth a trip when you have time.
Posted May 18, 2010 11:15 am

SoCalHikerBeautiful page, gorgeous area

SoCalHiker

Nicely done with great pictures. I want to go there now, too. Cheers, Guido
Posted May 18, 2010 11:21 am

mrchad9Re: Beautiful page, gorgeous area

mrchad9

Wow thanks Guido! If this encourages folks to visit that's probably the best compliment I could get. It's definitely a wonderful area. Thanks for the comment.
Chad
Posted May 18, 2010 11:43 am

EricChuMe too...

EricChu

...I hope to see this area someday with my own eyes after viewing your page!
Thanks for the work you did and cheers,
Eric
Posted May 18, 2010 2:36 pm

mrchad9Re: Me too...

mrchad9

Thank you Eric. I really appreciate the comments here. And if you come to California sometime I do hope you'll let me know.
Posted May 18, 2010 3:35 pm

calebEOCNice Page

calebEOC

great pictures, awesome page.
Posted May 19, 2010 12:21 am

mrchad9Re: Nice Page

mrchad9

Thank you very much. Glad you liked it!
Posted May 19, 2010 10:26 am

boyblueEnjoyed your page

boyblue

Lot's of good info on a rather underrated (IMHO) peak. Maybe it's time to do another repeat climb. (Better get on the treadmill!)
Posted Jun 11, 2010 7:53 pm

mrchad9Re: Enjoyed your page

mrchad9

Thanks boyblue! Entirely agree it is underrated. I was quite pleased on the trip how scenic much of the route was, and the views from the summit are super.
Posted Jun 13, 2010 9:26 pm

robertsturner52Historical View

robertsturner52

I believe that it is from this summit that the Whitney Survey Team named many of the key mountains in the area: Brewer, King & Gardiner, and the three Palisades, North, Middle, and South. It is one of the earliest peaks climbed by Brewer, Hoffman, King, & Gardiner in the Sierra, and from the summit these six mountains have prominence. All are visible in this beautiful panoramic photograph. When I was atop Goat Mountain it was late in the summer, so there was a lot less snow in the view. I recommend this summit to those who want a good view without any technical climbing beyond the rocky slope on the final ascent, but the climb, mostly by trail, is over 7,200 of steady elevation gain, a bit much for a day hike. I did come down from Goat Mountain in one day, though, after summitting in the morning.
Posted Aug 29, 2012 1:40 am