Granite Peak Comments

Viewing: 21-35 of 35 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

ungerfeldUntitled Comment

ungerfeld

Good job! Lots of info. May try it sometime although not sure when.
Posted Jun 26, 2004 1:59 pm

Bruce PooleyUntitled Comment

Bruce Pooley

Great page and especially fun with the goat photos!
Posted Jul 9, 2004 6:28 pm

Steve BallUntitled Comment

Steve Ball

Great page, I tried a solo day hike attempt last fall 2003, made it to about 500ft below the summit before turning around. I gotta get to the top of this one! What are your thoughts on the southern route from Cooke City?
Posted Oct 19, 2004 12:46 pm

Steve BallUntitled Comment

Steve Ball

I had set a turn around time of noon. It was 11:30 and I decided that by myself with no one else on the mountain and the steepness without ropes was not worth it. I think after reading more on the mountain and being there to see what its like, I would now be able to make it to the top. One day I will make it to the top of Granite.
Posted Oct 19, 2004 4:07 pm

miztflipUntitled Comment

miztflip

Nice job Alan.
Posted Nov 25, 2004 6:41 pm

BorUntitled Comment

Bor

Very nice page and informative like all yours!

Cheers from Europe! :-)
Posted Dec 16, 2004 4:36 pm

hunkanUntitled Comment

hunkan

Great!
Posted Mar 7, 2005 12:43 pm

2skinnersUntitled Comment

Well done page!!
Posted Jan 16, 2006 1:18 am

supermarmotpage format

supermarmot

the large panorama makes this otherwise excellent page really obnoxious to read. maybe it would be better to just have the image display as small? (just change the word 'medium' to 'small' in the html). maybe it could be converted into one of those pictures with the fancy scroll option? (i think there was an article about this a while back).

anything so that the reader doesn't have to scroll back and forth at every line in the text...
Posted Mar 26, 2007 6:36 am

Redwic"Easiest" is to each their own...

Redwic

Your quote:
"The easiest route to the summit involves a strenuous 10 -12 mile, 6300 ft, hike followed by sections of exposed class 3 and 4 rock climbing."

I think the term "easiest route" is incorrect, as each person might interpret that term differently. "Standard route" would be more accurate. From what I have heard, and I will learn this later myself, in person, the Southwest Couloir route (despite its ruggedness and slightly longer approach) is considered an easier summit route because of no Class IV sections.
Posted May 13, 2009 7:38 pm

RedwicRe: Re:

Redwic

Again, "easiest" is a subjective term, whereas "standard" is an more accurate term.

The "South Face via East Ridge" approach has been the standard route for many years, but the "Southwest Couloir" approach is gaining popularity because of its lower level of technical difficulty.

I will be more than happy to give a firsthand assessment of the route(s) once I do them. :-)
Posted May 13, 2009 11:29 pm

RedwicNo "Check-In" Necessary

Redwic

I just spoke to the Beartooth Ranger District this morning. The ranger there said no "check-in" is necessary to go hiking to or climbing Granite Peak. No fees, either (as already mentioned on the SP page).
Posted Aug 25, 2009 2:01 pm

sockydrCurrent Granite Peak Conditions

sockydr

This is a very good page, especially considering the fact that we are planning on climbing Granite Peak next week (Aug 18 to Aug 22, 2011). Thus this post, looking for current info (I do know that there is more snow up there then usual this year):
There are several items I’d like to find out about:

1. Are ice axes and/or crampons necessary? (the less weight we have to carry the better).
2. What is the best trail head and trail to use to get to the base of Granite?
3. What is the best route for summiting in the least amount of time with a minimum of technical rock work? (We are looking to summit, not rock climb. We know enough about rock climbing to do Granite, but would prefer to minimize it)
4. Given the above, what is the availability of water on the trail?

Any other comments or pointers you wish to impart would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Posted Aug 8, 2011 10:40 pm

GlacierCountryFirst Time

GlacierCountry

Heading up for the first time Aug 31. Have heard snow is all but gone. Looking forward to good weather for our party of 8. Deciding on the route tonight.
Posted Aug 23, 2012 1:31 pm

gcrainFrayed slings on SW Ramp

All:
My son-in-law and I summitted Monday, 8/8. It was brutal (but I'm old and could be in better shape).
These directions and others provided on different pages were extraordinarily helpful. We were there just when the 19-year-old South Dakota climber tumbled 20-40' and had to be airlifted out. (That was a horrible site.)
**VERY IMPORTANT NOTE**
There are two sets of ropes that have been placed by some unknown, altruistic person. The second set helps you over a very slick, though small ice-field (probably 40 feet). I, personally, was very, very grateful for these ropes to help me up and down the Ramp!!!
A couple of the slings on the 2nd set of ropes is frayed. One of them is frayed badly.
I spoke to the Beartooth Ranger District and they said there was nothing they could do about it. They did not know who set the ropes, either. However, they emphasized that a person should never fully rely on safety devices set by someone else.
If you know ropes and knots - and you're going up there - it would be nice to take a couple of slings and re-set them. They are very inexpensive and could really save someone from (another) terrible accident.
It is an extraordinary summit experience, otherwise. Thanks to Summit Post for this great page - and the links to other pages.
Posted Aug 10, 2016 9:05 pm