BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Nice area.

Posted Dec 6, 2005 10:46 pm

Bob BurdUntitled Comment

Bob Burd

Hmmm, interesting. Probably not as nice as nearby Cockscomb, but certainly better than the poorly named Sharktooth.

:-)
Posted Dec 6, 2005 11:45 pm

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

Oh, I'm sure it's not as nice as Cockscomb... but it was better than Izaak Walton, Silver, Seven Gables, or Recess. :-)
Posted Dec 6, 2005 11:49 pm

Bob BurdUntitled Comment

Bob Burd

Surely not better than Recess!

And stop calling me Shirley.
Posted Dec 7, 2005 9:44 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Shot in the back... Sounds like the old west - there should be a movie about it
Posted Dec 7, 2005 6:59 am

cp0915Untitled Comment

cp0915

ALMOST as cool a name as Funeral Peak...
Posted Dec 7, 2005 10:23 am

Dave KUntitled Comment

Dave K

Well, I just bookmarked this one. It has all the ingredients for a fun outing in the hills. I just love class 3-4 ridge scrambles on good rock!

Great page!
Posted Dec 7, 2005 10:43 am

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

Thanks, Dave. Lake Edison isn't one of the more spectacular places in the Sierra, but it's quite pretty, especially in fall when the aspens are turning--and it makes a pleasant change from repeating the usual weekend drive over to Bishop.
Posted Dec 7, 2005 1:31 pm

GlennGUntitled Comment

GlennG

When you were up in that area, did you get a good view of the Indian Lakes above Silver Pass? I heard they were a nice area, we got turned away from them by weather on a scout trip years back.
Posted Dec 7, 2005 8:22 pm

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

Not really, as I never went up to Silver Pass that weekend. I'd like to go back and hike up Goodale Pass again, looping back via Silver Pass--that looks like it would pass a whole bunch of lakes on the other side of the Silver Divide. But I can't say that's high on my to-do list.
Posted Dec 8, 2005 12:12 am

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

Well I checked out your page because of the name, so you're not wrong about it's intrigue! :-D Any idea why it's named Graveyard? Nice page!
Posted Dec 9, 2005 2:56 pm

Matthew HollimanUntitled Comment

Matthew Holliman

Thanks. My impression from Browning's Sierra place names book (there's a quote in the etymology section at the bottom of the main page) is that the peak was named for the murder of some shepherds there. The 7.5' also indicates the existence of a grave a couple of miles away, but I'm not sure if this is related or not.
Posted Dec 13, 2005 3:14 pm