Viewing: 1-20 of 31 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Nah, there's no gray on this mountain. I just don't see it. Stupid name for a peak. Ha ha.
Posted Feb 12, 2004 6:52 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks for giving the first rating on this page, you rock. The Grayback name comes from the mining era as a grayback is what the miner's carried in their hair. We would refer to them as lice. I found out this little tidbit in my research and I'll post this to the front page in the near future. Pretty area and we saw no "graybacks" Wait a minute, Bob's beard is gray....hmmmm
Posted Feb 12, 2004 6:57 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

I've been reading through the geology book Cascadia. A few days back I read through a chapter devoted to the Siskiyous. It said the area is geologically unique. I'll read it up on the info and pass it along later.
Posted Feb 12, 2004 7:15 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

That'd be great. Thanks
Posted Feb 12, 2004 7:23 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Nicely done as usual.
Posted Feb 12, 2004 6:59 pm

Jerry LUntitled Comment

Jerry L

Good work.
Posted Feb 12, 2004 7:19 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you for the nice words and the vote. How was the trip to Chile? I had a son who lived down there for a couple of years but not in the pretty area. He loved the country and never saw the Lakes area or further south.
Posted Feb 12, 2004 7:25 pm

Jerry LUntitled Comment

Jerry L

Hey. Chile is awesome. I had a great time, although my aging knees gave out and I couldn't make the summit. It appears that this was my last "big" mountain attempt (which just thrills the wife). Thanks for asking.
Posted Feb 13, 2004 6:38 am

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Looks like a nice relaxing mountain with a good description. Did you see an Brewer's Spruce in the Siskiyou? It is quite decorative similar to a Serbian Spruce.
Posted Feb 12, 2004 10:30 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks for your comments (as usual, you are always very generous in your nice remarks) It is relaxing (when not raining) Bob and I endured lots of rain the previous two days in mountains to the northwest so the sunshine was welcome and very pleasant. There was a trail to a saddle to the north but there were hundreds of trees down across it from a severe windstorm sometime in the previous few months.

All in all however, a nice little Oregon mountain to enjoy when the weather is nice.
Posted Feb 12, 2004 11:02 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

I may have seen the spruce you mentioned but I wouldn't have known it. I need to take a tree identifier book with me when I go into areas with trees that I haven't seen before. If I go back, I'll be sure to be better informed.
Posted Feb 12, 2004 11:19 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you. I've been enjoying many of your great pages too.
Posted Feb 12, 2004 11:40 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Very nice page! I love the "fascinating facts" very much. With all the summit pictures on SP you'd think none of us ever looked at the surroundings. The cover of the first book you posted says it all.

Keep posting!

Gangolf
Posted Feb 13, 2004 3:36 am

KaneUntitled Comment

Kane

Nice page Dean. I spent eight years in Portland when i was just a kiddo and reading your page sparked some memories.

Excellent "Getting There"
Posted Feb 13, 2004 11:14 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Kane for your nice comments. Part of the real fun is the "getting there". Oregon is a great state, full of tons of stuff and I visit there often as I have a daughter who lives in Sherwood, just SW of Portland. (her husband works for Intel)

2003 was a banner year for me in Oregon as I drove to just about every part of it and truly, most of the fun was the "getting there".
Posted Feb 13, 2004 8:50 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Great job as usual Dean!

Thanks for posting this mountain.
Posted Feb 13, 2004 6:00 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Radek, I always appreciate your vote and comments. Oregon is such a great state, so many places to go, so varied and unique. Grayback Mtn was a fun surprise and on a sunny day, a great place to be.
Posted Feb 13, 2004 8:52 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

thank you for taking the time to vote, I appreciate it.
Posted Feb 13, 2004 8:45 pm

Dennis PoulinUntitled Comment

Dennis Poulin

Great job. It is good to hear others appreciate the beauty of Southern Oregon.
Posted Feb 15, 2004 5:39 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Dennis and thanks for sending the pic that is now gracing this page as its cover pic. That is very fitting considering you don't live very far from this one.
Posted Feb 15, 2004 8:23 pm