Viewing: 1-20 of 23 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

CharlesDMost visitted?

CharlesD

Hey Dan,

Good for you tackling this large project. But I seriously doubt that the Smokies are "easily the most visitted" range in the eastern US. Probably the Whites, Catskills, and Poconos, and certainly the Shenandoahs are much more popular being closer to major population centers than the Smokies. Granted, I've experienced the Smokies over spring break and it was impressive.
Posted Jul 27, 2006 3:56 pm

dwhikeRe: Most visited

dwhike

Thanks for your interest. It is taking some time! As for the visitation question, I did some research. Great Smoky Mountains NP attracts over 9 million visitors annually. As for the places you mentioned The Poconos attract 3.5 million, White Mountain NF 2.7 million, Shenandoah NP 1.2 million, and the Catskills 574,000. If you still don't believe it I'd invite you to visit Newfound Gap around noon on a sunny 4th of July weekend...you'll feel like the whole east coast has come with you:) Thankfully most of the people don't get into the backcountry!

Thanks again for the feedback! -Dan
Posted Jul 27, 2006 4:41 pm

CharlesDRe: Most visited

CharlesD

I stand corrected. Interesting stats.
Posted Jul 27, 2006 7:28 pm

desainmePretty cool

desainme

I'll make a pitch for the inclusion of Thunderhead 5527' on the TN/NC line above Cades Cove. It is not on SP yet.
North 35.568693, West -83.706321
Posted Jul 27, 2006 4:01 pm

dwhikeRe: Pretty cool

dwhike

Thanks alot, I'll throw it in there. I've never been there but I've read that its beautiful. Thanks!
-Dan
Posted Jul 27, 2006 4:45 pm

dwhikeRe: well done

dwhike

Thank you for the kind words. -Dan
Posted Jul 31, 2006 2:43 pm

injektiloCool!

injektilo

Very nice page. I LOVE the smokies! Brings back many fond memories of growing up in southern Ohio... my family used to visit the Smokies every year! The Smokies are probably the reason I love hiking so much today.
Posted Jul 29, 2006 8:55 pm

dwhikeRe: Cool!

dwhike

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for your interest. -Dan
Posted Jul 31, 2006 2:43 pm

mrhEasily . . .

mrh

one of the best pages on SP. You have obviously put in a lot of effort and it shows.
Posted Jul 31, 2006 5:39 am

dwhikeRe: Easily . . .

dwhike

Much appreciated, thank you. -Dan
Posted Aug 6, 2006 10:20 pm

AndinistalocoExcellent

Andinistaloco

Very thorough job. A credit to the site!
Posted Aug 6, 2006 8:47 pm

CRiedel2Impressive!

CRiedel2

Wow! You did a great job with this page! I'll be visiting it frequently. Very informative indeed. I've been thinking of spending a few weekends in the Smokies and I know I can start with this page. Thanks!
Posted Aug 12, 2006 4:52 pm

rasgoatCan't wait to go!

rasgoat

This page totally got me jazzed to go to the Smokies! I will definately be using it to plan my trip! Also I hope one day to posess the skills to create such a cool page!
Posted Aug 18, 2006 8:49 am

dwhikeRe: Can't wait to go!

dwhike

Thanks for the nice comment. Hope you enjoy your trip! If you need any x-tra info don't hesitate to write.
Posted Aug 19, 2006 2:32 pm

DeanTerrific resource

You've done an outstanding job in presenting lots of information.
I've only been able to visit Clingmans Dome and the Chimney Tops but hopefully I can get back to this area of the country again sometime. This page deserves an eleven.
Posted Jan 14, 2007 3:27 pm

dwhikeRe: Terrific resource

dwhike

Thank you so much. I thought that a place as diverse and unique as the Smokies deserved as complete a page as possible. I'm glad you approve and appreciate the comments.

-Dan
Posted Jan 14, 2007 3:35 pm

TurboThanks...

Turbo

... for putting together such a complete and helpful page for the smoky mountains. I've referenced it several times now when planning recent trips. Great work!
Posted Mar 4, 2007 2:25 pm

dwhikeRe: Thanks...

dwhike

I'm glad it's been helpful for you. If you have any suggestions at all or updates I should know about from your recent trips please feel free to let me know as I don't get to the Smokies as much as I used to!
Posted Mar 4, 2007 3:14 pm

CheesySciFiWell researched

CheesySciFi

Comprehensive discussion of trails, campgrounds, shelters, and peaks, with some fine pictures to boot. What more could you ask for in a range page?
Posted Sep 29, 2007 9:56 pm

Tbacon251Nice Page!

Tbacon251

I spend a lot of time in the Smoky Mountains. You have created a very detailed page. Great work!
Posted Feb 21, 2008 8:38 am