Grossglockner from Kleinglockner

Grossglockner from Kleinglockner

Flo
on Feb 28, 2013 10:07 am
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing
Image ID: 840506

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Feb 28, 2013 5:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice...

Nice shot, people on this ridge put everything in perspective.

LesterLong

LesterLong - Mar 2, 2013 8:28 am - Hasn't voted

terrifying

wow...i don't ever want to try that.

Flo

Flo - Mar 2, 2013 11:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: terrifying

One side is almost vertical, but you don't see that when walking =)

Getting used to it makes the difference, if you know rock, snow, it's often merely (careful) walking.

And here you are on the rope! It would be completely different and to me stressful without the poles and rope there (I did some of that today in Stubai, but shorter passages).

We met someone with "a little of alpine experience" at the Glockner. He went without rope.

What I like about exposed passages apart from alpine beauty is how self-confidence grows with experience.

Capricorn

Capricorn - Mar 2, 2013 12:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: terrifying

You have not seen the worst part yet, which is the knife edge ridge connecting the 2 summits. It is a high-wire walk for about 10 - 20 meters.

As far as I remember the parts you see on the picture are not that bad, and can generally be done without any (walking) belay.

The connection ridge probably is usually done belayed, certainly by guided parties. Therefore it is a bottleneck.

I have to admit that when we were there, coming down from an ice route, all 3 of us went unbelayed. Which was more unconsidered than deliberate, and not advisable.

Flo

Flo - Mar 2, 2013 12:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: terrifying

Obere Glocknerscharte. Exit of Pallavicini couloir on one side. It was a funny feeling even belayed and even though it was a well tracked snow ridge.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5