Halti Comments

tocUntitled Comment

toc

Good upload.

I have bought sleeping bag

branded "Halti" some 6 years ago or so.

Now I know where the name originates from.
Posted Aug 25, 2005 5:39 pm

JELNUntitled Comment

JELN

Yes, "Halti" is a leading brand of outdoor equipment and clothes here in Finland. They do sell a lot in Sweden and Norway as well.

I didn't know they sold in Croatia? Or did you buy it in Scandinavia?
Posted Aug 26, 2005 1:54 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

A little low to be considered a mountain in many countries. But your page has it all and the highpoint of Finnland certainly is worth a page on SP. You can attach the page to the "Arctic Scandinavia" Group so that it will be shown in the left grey sidebar together with the other Scandinavian mountains.

Welcome to SP!
Posted Aug 26, 2005 9:55 am

JELNUntitled Comment

JELN

Thanks for the stars!

I added Halti to "Arctic Scandinavia" as you suggested. Good tip.

You're right about Halti being a bit low in international mountaneering standards, but actually it's only 15m lower than the highpoint of Great Britain, Ben Nevis in Scotland. OK, Ben Nevis is higher than Halti if you compare it to surrounding terrain, but if you only look at elevation, they are very close.
Posted Aug 26, 2005 10:46 am

CoraxUntitled Comment

Corax

Good that someone finally put up a good page about finland's highest peak.

-----------------------------------

Edit 2005 10 05

Checked the page again and it's so nice now.

It was a four-starer before, but now it's just great!
Posted Aug 26, 2005 10:36 am

JELNUntitled Comment

JELN

Thanks for the stars, "Corax"

I added Halti to "Arctic Scandinavia," as you suggested. Good tip.

I'll see what I can do about those books of Finland.

I plan on develloping the page further by adding maps in the future as well.
Posted Aug 26, 2005 10:48 am

Vid PogachnikUntitled Comment

Vid Pogachnik

Wow, finally, Finnland's highest!
Posted Aug 26, 2005 12:35 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Oh, nice! I've been wondering about Finland's small patch of high country for years! Thanks! Great post! It's about time someone took it upon themselves to show us that Finland has some high country.

Posted Aug 26, 2005 7:49 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Kentucky only has a few 4K foot peaks. And even those are in danger of being destroyed by strip mining (there are coal seams in them, and energy companies want to tear those few 4K foot peaks down to get to the coal). The highest point in Kentucky is in private hands and in danger of being mined.
Posted Aug 28, 2005 8:36 am

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Nice page!
Posted Aug 27, 2005 5:32 am

JELNUntitled Comment

JELN

Thanks for the stars! I made the corrections you suggested. =)
Posted Sep 22, 2005 12:22 pm

cedadUntitled Comment

cedad

Excellent page. Just a question, "are all hiking paths marked" and "how many people one can find during the trekking".

I hike a lot on the Alps and here, during summer holidays, it's common to meet more than one hundred humans.

Thanks for your page which is an invitation to visit this place in the future.
Posted Nov 4, 2005 7:40 am

JELNUntitled Comment

JELN

Thanks, Cedad!

The trail from Kilpisjärvi is very well marked and it is difficult to get lost. The only part that is really not market is Halti itself, and you have to jost hop from one rock to the other, no trail is really necessary. However, it's always a good idea to have a map with you because it's always nice to know where you are going.

I would say, during the most popular summer months, if you hike from Kilpisjärvi to Halti, you would probably see arround 100-200 people on your trip.

Finland is beautifull, especially during summer and communication is easy for foreigners because most of the young people (at least those under 50 )speak English.

Let's hope you have a chance to visit Halti. Be sure to fill i the summit log!
Posted Nov 5, 2005 1:03 pm

MoniUntitled Comment

Moni

Nicely done page with good info and great pics.

Posted Nov 24, 2005 1:08 pm

taikavuorimiesUntitled Comment

Beautiful. Visiting Lapland is my childhood dream.
Posted Dec 20, 2005 11:26 am

JELNUntitled Comment

JELN

Hello Magic-mountain-man!

Thanks for the stars! =)

You seem to be a real fan of Finnish alpine climbing!?

Be sure to contact me when you make your dream to come to Finland a reality!

Likewise, it would be nice to climb Masala/Rila somethimes when I'm in your country. Many Finns visit Varna, especially during fall/spring. Maybe I'll contact you when I'm there and we'll climb Musala together?
Posted Dec 22, 2005 9:58 am

taikavuorimiesUntitled Comment

Well, I'm a big fan of Finland. I've been there once, but only to Helsinki and the area around it. I'm planning to go there for an year or so, in 2007, to study the language. Then I'll have a chance to hike in Lappi, or maybe even do a longer trip.

I think about 95% of the Finns who come to Bulgaria go to Sunny Beach or Golden Sands. But I've met some here in Plovdiv, and in Rila as well.

Sure, you're welcome, I'll be glad to help. Musala is pretty easy to reach and climb. You can check out the page I posted about Maljovica, it's the most popular peak in Rila. Check out the Pirin mountain as well, and its mount Vihren. Last year I had a Finnish guest and I took him there and he liked it a lot. He made us swim in a freezing lake at 2300 m. Traditions...
Posted Dec 22, 2005 4:13 pm

Mblue01Nice

Mblue01

Good page. Finland is really great, especially in wintertime !
Posted Mar 16, 2006 6:08 pm

Jukka AhonenAbout the weather

Jukka Ahonen

I'd like to add something regarding the weather and "when to go" if looking for Summer hiking experience, rather than skiing:

Basically the snows start melting relatively fast in May, and they are not all gone even by mid June (or Midsummer, "Juhannus" in Finnish). What this means is that the area is generally too wet for hiking during most of June, and the river crossings can be hazardous due to rapid flows and high water levels.

The best time to hike up to Halti from Kilpisjärvi is July and August. In July there can be more mosquitos than most are willing to share their living space with, but on the other hand, the nights start getting pretty cold by the end of August (below zero degrees Celsius). Absolute best times are thus late July and early August.

Keep in mind the weather conditions this far up North change rapidly, and historical averages are only just that: averages.

The information above was given from Kilpisjärvi Hiking Center (http://www.kilpisjarvi.info/ - only in Finnish and Norwegian).
Posted Sep 1, 2008 5:01 pm