Hanauma Bay Comments

Alex WoodHow

Alex Wood

is this related to mountains or climbing? Its a nice page, but I just dont see that relation in there. Not trying to be mean just wondering...
Posted Nov 19, 2009 10:43 am

SoCalHikerRe: How

SoCalHiker

It's a volcano which crater has been flooded a long time ago creating this bay. So it is a mountain, just another aspect of the geological lifecycle of many volcanoes.
Posted Nov 19, 2009 10:56 am

Alex WoodRe: How

Alex Wood

Ohhh, I feel retarded now haha. Thats actually pretty cool
Posted Nov 19, 2009 10:57 am

SoCalHikerRe: How

SoCalHiker

It is amazing actually to think you are in an ancient volcanic crater when snorkeling in the bay. Very cool. Cheers.
Posted Nov 19, 2009 10:59 am

AlikaExcellent Page

Alika

Also nice explanation of why it belongs. I think however it might belong more as a mountain/rock, not as a range or area. Either way, and I don't know if you can change that easily anyway, but just a suggestion. Also, I highly recommend photographer and marine biologist John Hoover's book on the bay. He has written photo guidebooks to the reef fish and reef invertebrates of hawaii, and in his Hanauma book he spent a year taking photos in the bay, and it not only describes and talks about the fish, it tells you where in the bay to find them.

Hanauma Bay: A Marine Guide to Hawaii's Most Popular Nature Preserve, by John Hoover
Posted Jan 24, 2010 1:32 pm

SoCalHikerRe: Excellent Page

SoCalHiker

Thanks for visiting. You are actually right, the page is more appropriate as a mountain page than an area. I changed it. Thanks also for the info about the book. Cheers.
Posted Jan 24, 2010 7:20 pm

gimpilatorRe: Excellent Page

gimpilator

I'm glad to see this awesome location represented here on SummitPost. Nice work! If it was my page I would list it as a custom object rather than a mountain/rock. But as you pointed out, because of it's volcanic origins, it does qualify.
Posted Nov 15, 2012 1:30 am