Nearest higher peak: Wirtshauskogel (1486 m) in Schneeberg
Prominence: 632 m
Handlesberg belongs to the mountain range of Gutenstein Alps, and it is the second highest peak of the range with its 1370 m altitude. The highest peak of the range is not much higher: it is the 1399 m high Reisalpe. The prominence of Handlesberg is 606 meter, and with this value it has rank 14 on the prominence list of Lower Austria.
The name of the mountain comes from the German word "Hahn" meaning Cock. Handlesberg is made of various kinds of limestone, and dolomite in the depth, with all typical character of the limestone mountain range of the alps: sharp rock ridges and rock walls, rich vegetation, karst activities like caves and karst spring.
Our mountain has three summits worth mention:
The highest peak of Handlesberg (1370 m)
With a beautiful summit cross on its peak-rock and with good panoramic view on the nearby ranges of the Alps.
It is a rocky ridge with an almost vertical north face. It is only 500 meter west to the highest peak. And only a little bit lower: approximately 1330 m high.
Falkenstein (1013 m)
It is 3 km far from the highest peak, on its western side. Though it is not too high, it looks to be really high if you look at it from the valley of Schwarzau, as it is towering just above the river bed. Falkenstein a nature-protected area, with intensive karst activities: 3 caves (Bärenloch, die Herrengrotte and Frauengrotte) and the karst spring of Klafterbach.
• From Handlesberg summit (1370 m) to Reitbauer (670 m)
• From Handlesberg summit (1370 m) to Steinhauer (990 m)
Marked hikig trails:
• From the valley of Voisbach (Wagenhof) to Handlesberg: , 2 x 6 km, 710 m elevation gain
• From the valley of Paxbach (Gschaiderwirt) to Handlesberg: , 2 x 6.5 km, 727 m elevation gain
• From the valley of Schawarza (Schwarzau im Gebirge) to Handlesberg: , 2 x 4.5 km, 767 m elevation gain
• From the valley of Schawarza (Bichl) via Kirchensteig to Falkenstein: , 2 x 2.5 km, 405 m elevation gain
Austrian Long Distance Route 06:
Actually Route 06 is a series of pilgrimage routes, all directing to Mariazell. Its eastern branch is called Burgenländische Mariazellerweg. It is a 145 km long route between Eisenstadt and Mariazell. It crosses the southern flanks of Handlesberg. The highest point of this route in Handlesberg is 795 m, in a saddle between Baumeckkogel and Mitterriegel.
On the Summit
• S: Scheibwaldhöhe (1943 m) in Rax
• SW: Amaissbichl (1828 m) in Schneealpe
• W: Ötscher (1893 m)
Flora and FaunaInstead of words:
When to ClimbIn any season.
Camping and Tourist Huts
2763 Neusiedl bei Pernitz, Hauptstraße 2
External LinksOnline touris map of Austria: www.austrianmap.at
Naturpark Falkenstein: www.naturparke.at/en/Nature_Parks/Niederoesterreich/Falkenstein-Schwarzau_im_Gebirge