Harmonic Balance

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.65580°N / 118.8656°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Follow directions on main page to access all climbs on Crystal Wall.

Route Description

Harmonic Balance is located towards the middle portion of the wall. It is the bolted route just to the left of a large alcove about 50 feet up on the wall. The climbing is sustained and thus gets a 5.8+ rating and with the bolts well spaced one should feel comfortable leading before setting out to take on this climb. The route starts to the left of and at the base of a small ledge. Look straight up about 15 feet to located the first bolt. The route trends towords the right until after the fourth bolt with the bolts evenly spaced at about 20 feet apart. It is possible to head straight up from the third bolt to access a pair of rap anchors that can be used to top rope the lower portions of Harmonic Balance and the route to the left Crystal. If staying on Harmonic though head up and right from the third bolt. Once at the fourth bolt head straight up over a more vertical, yet knobby, portion to the fifth bolt. The route then heads straight up about 25 feet to the anchors. There is a bolt just to the left of and about 5 feet up from the fifth bolt that is actually part of the route Crystal. The climbing obove the fifth bolt eases a bit to the belay. Once at the first belay it is possible to either rap off (with a second rope) or continue straight up to the top via easier yet hard to protect climbing. The upper portion will take small cams and nuts in spots but for the most part is difficult to protect well.

Essential Gear

60 meter rope
5 quick draws
a few small cams and nuts if completing the second pitch
an extra rope if planning to rap off
Lockers and slings for belay

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.