Viewing: 1-5 of 5
mpbro

mpbro - Jun 7, 2002 10:21 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page.



From the photos, I'd guess that there are some decent technical climbs on the granite (is it granite?). It'd be nice to mention them if you have any info.



-Morgan

dkeating2112

dkeating2112 - Jun 9, 2002 6:53 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote. Yes, the rock is granite. It is called the Harney Peak Granite. I've actually never seen any climbers up near the peak, only hikers. I'm not sure if that has to do with wilderness area restrictions, or the fact that the nearby spires may actually be considered better climbs. The surrounding region in the Black Hills is riddled with many steep cliffs and spires.

bigwally

bigwally - Mar 12, 2003 5:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page !!!!! Links are always cool !!! You can always put in the www.weather.com with YOUR zip code in it, and folks can look at the weather forecast for about a week out. Keep up the good work !!!!

tlogan

tlogan - Jan 10, 2005 11:43 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

could use an update.

Stansbury

Stansbury - Sep 15, 2009 5:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Harney Range Trails

Nice page and thanks for putting it together. I'll add a comment that Trail #9, the shortest route to the summit, is at the bottom of the Sylvan Lake parking lot. I saw more people both at the trailhead and on the trails who had confusion about which trail went where. The trails are well marked but there are a few trails going to different places (e.g. Little Devils Tower) that it's not difficult to miss something or start at the wrong spot. One other ambiguous sign near the summit has both an arrow pointing to the "Mt. Harney lookout" and another pointing different for the "Mt. Harney trail". The "lookout" does indeed mean the peak, not just a view site for the peak, as a couple of people happened to ask me on the way down. This is a well-maintained and otherwise well-marked trail. If you're one of those masochists who like to run these trails this is a good one for that purpose, too, as much of the trail is smooth.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Black Elk Peak / Harney Peak' main page