Hawksbill Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Azoraa

Azoraa - Aug 10, 2020 3:11 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2020

Initial visit  Sucess!

Late morning and very humid. I wanted to quit and go back several times but took breaks at a couple of the lower overlooks. Someone coming down said I was almost there so eventually, I reached the peak. From there I could see distant places in directions. Hoping to return and spend more time when it is cooler.

captain.ron

captain.ron - Sep 10, 2018 8:26 pm Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2018

Bwst Views in my opinion  Sucess!

Hiked up here to see the beautiful views of the gorge! Awesome views of surrounding mountains and my favorite Grandfather Mountain!

Stu Brandel

Stu Brandel - May 18, 2015 8:59 pm Date Climbed: May 15, 2015

Spectacular View  Sucess!

Justly popular - unexpected grandeur. This is not your typical Appalachian mountain view.

WyomingSummits

WyomingSummits - Dec 30, 2012 11:28 pm

Great sport climbing  Sucess!

Nice hard sport climbing that has lots of places in the shade on hot and humid NC summer days! Climbed a couple of 5.9's and a 5.10b in '99.

captainbuuda

captainbuuda - Oct 9, 2011 2:14 pm Date Climbed: Sep 24, 2011

Great Reward for small effort  Sucess!

Amazing views and just a short distance from the road. The folks who live in the Linville Falls area have a real hidden gem in this peak. The best part of this peak is just how many rock outcrops there are on it. Plenty of space to explore and spread out from the crowd (which is most likely going to be on Table Rock anyway).

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jun 17, 2011 4:33 pm Date Climbed: Jun 4, 2011

Via Devil's Hole  Sucess!

We were on a 2 night backpack and started the climb to Hawksbill from the west side. We found the ford at Devil's Hole, crossed the river and made the steep climb up to the Jonas Ridge Trail and headed south to Hawksbill from there. Awesome views from the summit!

rgg

rgg - Nov 22, 2010 12:24 am

June 2002, to warm up  Sucess!

for Tablerock Mountain.

Mike N

Mike N - Jul 1, 2010 10:00 am Date Climbed: Jun 26, 2010

Main trail  Sucess!

Took the kids up. My 3.5 year old did the whole walk up AND down on his own. It is continuously steep to the top. Great views of the Gorge. Great rocks for a small picnic.

mtnbnd

mtnbnd - Nov 8, 2009 8:39 pm Date Climbed: Nov 7, 2009

Great views  Sucess!

Took this nice easy hike with my family. Great views of Table Rock and Shortoff and the Linville Gorge.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - May 16, 2009 2:33 pm Date Climbed: May 15, 2009

From FR-210  Sucess!

Holy smokes. This could be one of the most lovely peaks in the entire East. Incredible. The views from the top are simply amazing. The pink mountain laurel were in bloom...the views of the gorge, the views of the other peaks, the dwarf pine. This place took my breath away.

Hiking partner: Mom.

Cortez

Cortez - Sep 24, 2007 2:15 pm Date Climbed: Sep 22, 2007

Simply Spectacular!  Sucess!

Hawksbill may not be one of the tallest mountains on the east coast but it does offer some of the grandest panoramas on this side of the Mississippi. If you choose to climb this mountain, make sure select a clear day and you will be rewarded with grand views of Table Rock, Sitting Bear and the canyon which stretches before you thousands of feet below.

pilz8

pilz8 - Jun 16, 2006 2:02 am

main trail

Beautiful area! I climbed this peak along with Grandfather mountain a couple of years ago.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Hawksbill Mountain' main page