Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.00658°N / 114.93319°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Custer
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 9744 ft / 2970 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak is only about 5 miles to the top from the trailhead but requires some good route finding navigation as there is not many recognizable landmarks to follow. Most of it is off trail going through very rough and heavily forested terrain. But once you get on top you are rewarded with very nice views with many lakes in sight. This peak is unnamed on the map but it is marked as 9744 and is located just north of Imogene Peak via a connected ridge.

Getting There

Turn onto Decker Flats road which is about 14 miles south of Stanley, after you drive across the Salmon River turn left and keep on this road until you just about reach a point where the road takes a turn to the north. There will be a little side road to the left, take this turn. You will reach a point where there is a trailhead to your left or you can keep following this road that goes up about a mile further up the canyon. Park at the trailhead where there are a couple small parking spots.

Route

Follow the trail that leads to McDonald Lake. It starts by going up some steep terrain and a few switchbacks leading to the top of a ridge and the trail will continue heading west. Keep taking the trail on this ridge for about 3/4 of a mile until it starts dropping down toward McDonald Lake. Break off the trail and keep following the top of the ridge. At about 8800 feet you will start going up the steep hump up the west ridge of Hell Roaring Peak with forest all the way till about 9500 feet where the forest finally ends and turns to more rocky and open terrain. From here it's an easy walk up the final stretch to the summit. An easy class 2.

Red Tape

Not too much for camping spots or many chances for water. So bring lots of fluids.

When to Climb

The west ridge of this peak melts off fairly early compared to the other major peaks in the Sawtooths. Depending on previous snowfall, anytime between middle June to October.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawtooth RangeMountains & Rocks