Herlan Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
colingregory

colingregory - Feb 12, 2019 3:21 pm Date Climbed: Aug 15, 2018

Dayhike  Sucess!

I had been staring up at this peak for about 20 years from family vacations in Incline Village. Finally went up this summer. I took an interesting route, my dad dropped me off where the Tahoe Rim Trail passes HW-431. I left my bike briefly to bag Diamond Peak. I am not an experienced uphill mountain biker, probably because I like hiking so much so I locked my bike to a tree near the fading Twin Lakes and started hiking up. Near the summit I left the trail and eventually started scrambling amongst the boulders. Highest point is an easy class 3 endeavor. After this I ran over to Marlette Peak and then headed back to my bike. Unfortunately I got a little eager on the way down and took a potentially nasty fall at about 20-25 mph. I put a huge dent in my helmet and thought I knocked my teeth out, it was just some sand. I was extremely lucky to come out of this with only some road rash. I managed to ride down the flume trail on the damaged bike past the old Ponderosa and called my parents for an early pickup.

colinr

colinr - May 2, 2016 9:01 pm Date Climbed: May 1, 2016

with Marlette Peak from Tunnel Creek TH after Captain Pomin Rock  Sucess!

https://goo.gl/photos/n2BHLVF2SXrDv5L19

Day 2 of a snow hiking trip with Mason. Tagged Captain Pomin Rock to test our legs after a long Day 1. Drove to Incline Village and hiked up Tunnel Creek Road, enjoying the great vista points around Herlan Peak and Marlette Peak. We left some peakbagging opportunities north of Twin Lakes for another time.

Day 1: Long snowshoe from Spooner Lake TH with Mason between storms. Snowed a few inches overnight & we saved Snow Valley Peak for evening in hopes of clearing views. Peak 8738 came first and was enshrouded. Views opened up in late afternoon, making Snow Valley Peak a grand, but wind chilled vista when we finally reached it after tagging far flung 8208 & 8205 to the northeast.

AceSierra

AceSierra - Aug 8, 2013 6:04 pm Date Climbed: Aug 25, 2007

Tunnel Creek Road  Sucess!

Kinda forgettable, but a nice view down toward Sand Harbor, and a fairly unfettered view of Lake Tahoe. Smoke in the skies obscured some of the view. Very dry hike.

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - May 30, 2013 12:03 pm Date Climbed: May 26, 2013

From Snow Valley Peak  Sucess!

Took the Tahoe Rim Trail from Snow Valley Peak over to Herlan. Memorial Day weekend and saw 1 hiker the entire day. Winds never stopped. I took a direct line down to the east side of Marlette Lake to try to cut me time down to get back to family. Bushwacked along the lake edge and saw many LARGE paw prints leading down to the lake. Caught the road back to the trail, I believe roughly 16 miles total, it was a 7 hour day car to car.
A really nice area.

JonathanHeywood - Jul 8, 2012 12:05 am Date Climbed: Jul 6, 2012

Blue Skies  Sucess!

Started at Tunnel Creek Road. Took the TRT on the way up and the Flume Trail on the way back. Beautiful blue skies and killer views from the top.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 15, 2011 7:36 pm Date Climbed: Oct 15, 2011

Large group  Sucess!

Led a large group up to this area (13 of us), primarily to the Sand Harbor Overlook. As far as I know, I was the only one of the 13 to actually go to the summit. They were busy checking out the awesome views. Snow was absent, despite a snow storm 10 days earlier.

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Mar 25, 2008 2:11 am Date Climbed: Mar 20, 2008

West Face  Sucess!

2:40 roundtrip.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Herlan Peak' main page