Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.18358°N / 73.74916°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 3183 ft / 970 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The mountain provides excellent views of the high peaks region of the Adirondacks. It is probably one of the best panoramas for an intermediate sized peak. In particular, the view of Giant, Dix and the Sawteeth mountains is spectacular. The trail starts near St-Huberts in Keene Valley. Once at the summit, the trail continues to Giant mountain.

The trail to the summit is about 6.4 miles (return). You should allocate about 5 hours, inclusing a half hour on the summit admiring the views.

One of the nice sections of the trail is alongside Mossy Cascade Brook. This is a fun trail to do in the springtime when water rushes down at high speed. There are several waterfalls along its path. Note that the trail can get quite wet and muddy depending on time of year.

The mountain was named after a minister from Troy, the Reverend Erastus Hopkins, who hiked in the region.

Getting There

The trailhead is on NY Route 73, immediately south of the bridge across the East Branch of the Ausable River, one-mile north of the Roaring Brook trailhead in Saint Huberts.

You can park on the east shoulder of the road, which is wide enough for five or six cars. Step around the guardrail and follow along it until you see the small wooden bridge over a little brook that flows into the Ausable River

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.