Hualalai Comments

surgentGreat page

surgent

I saw this peak while my wife and I visited Kona this past July and wondered about hiking it. Thanks for all the great info. Maybe some day...
Posted Jan 22, 2007 7:51 pm

Don NelsenThanks, Scott,

Don Nelsen

for the kind words! This was a fun hike and bagging a >3,000' prominance peak made it all the better. I'll probably do it again but start way earlier to beat the afternoon clouds. Looks like Klenke is going to tackle it next month so we should get some more info on it and hopefully some better pics.

Don
Posted Jan 24, 2007 8:04 am

SteveinFXBGVery nice

SteveinFXBG

Ah, to be in Hawaii again.... Thanks for posting this mountain. Great info and pictures. I hope I can get back there sooner rather than later and do a bit more exploring.
Posted Feb 22, 2007 1:57 am

KlenkePronunciation

Klenke

Hey Don,
Michelle and I climbed Hualalai on the 3rd. We were pronouncing it Hoo-uh-LAY-lee but a "local" (actually, he was a haole) I talked to said the mountain is pronounced Hoo-uh-lay-LIE. You should mention in your Overview that this is the correct pronunciation even if the "lee" way has a better ring to it. -Paul

Oh yea, Puhia Pele was pretty cool...except for all that animal poop on it. Man it spelled bad.
Posted Mar 12, 2007 2:54 am

Don NelsenGlad to see..

Don Nelsen

you made it back ok! Is Hawaii a great place, or what (sorry you had to deal with poop, though.)Thanks for the tip on the pronounciation - it's hard for us haoles sometimes.
Posted Mar 13, 2007 12:39 am

KlenkeWhere is Na One?

Klenke

I added the Puhia Pele info to the main page and added the pics. Go here for the pics. Start with the one with the car in it uploaded on March 21 and go down the page from there.

Also, I'm having trouble figuring out where "Na One" is and Topozone doesn't register a Na One (even though you say it does on the main page). Is Na One near to Puhia Pele? Is it the same thing? Is it the general name for the area? Perhaps you can provide the actual Topozone link/map for it.
Posted Mar 22, 2007 12:47 am

Don NelsenThank you

Don Nelsen

for the great job adding to the page and for the pictures. As for "Na One" - thanks for catching that. I wrote the page back in May while on the island and don't have the reference to Na One now. I think what I'd read said that the whole area is called that but I don't remember for sure. I've removed the reference from the page for now.
Posted Mar 22, 2007 5:07 pm

melmalinowskiGPS?

melmalinowski

Anyone have a GPS route? You can post them now. The first bit is confusing, and some folks have told us there are wyes in the road.
Posted Nov 17, 2010 10:06 am

KlenkeRe: GPS?

Klenke

I'll see what I can put together for lat/long coordinates of key junctions. From that you can put together a GPS route if you so desire. It will be a while (like by year's end).
Posted Nov 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Don NelsenRe: GPS?

Don Nelsen

Hi Mel, sorry didn't connect when last on the Big Island - still had back problems and didn't do much. I gave Puu waa waa a shot though - very interesting.

I have a good track of Hualalai if you want it. I took a slightly different route up and back but it's a good track.
Posted Mar 3, 2012 11:42 am

DreaaTRESSPASSING

I tried to go up Hualalai today. Unfortunately someone is objecting for reasons that are not all that clear. There was a Hawaiian guy guarding the Huehue entrance and provided a list of reasons it is closed. None of them made sense. I backtracked and went part way anyhow through cow fields but definitely a downer.
Posted Mar 2, 2012 6:22 pm

Don NelsenRe: TRESSPASSING

Don Nelsen

That is unfortunate. I don't believe that there is a legitimate reason but the Bishop estate does have title to the land so they may be legally justified, whatever the reason. I'd just give it a try another day when there's no one at the gate.

Also, a much longer and more interesting route is via the Pu'u waa waa trail. I have a good gps track of both.
Posted Mar 3, 2012 11:40 am

DreaaTRESSPASSING

I tried to go up Hualalai today. There was a Hawaiian guy guarding the Huehue entrance and provided a list of reasons it is closed. None of them made sense. I backtracked and went part way anyhow through cow fields but definitely a downer.
Posted Mar 2, 2012 6:22 pm