Hualapai Peak Comments

dsnellUntitled Comment

dsnell

Sounds like a pretty heinous hike: long pants (for thorns, I presume) and poles to beat back snakes!
Posted Aug 22, 2003 9:04 am

surgentUntitled Comment

surgent

Just the final bit needs long pants. Very brushy- standard Arizona stuff: pointy things. Snakes are ever present, but make noise to scare them off. I did have to detour when I came upon a large hive of bees, though!
Posted Aug 22, 2003 11:44 am

Steven CrossUntitled Comment

Steven Cross

This is a page I have been hoping somebody would add for a long time. It would be great to see more pics, I'd like to see some of the rocky summit.

You might want to note that Hualapai Peak is the high point of Mohave County.

I have heard that Hualapai Peak and Browns Peak (Maricopa's high point) are the 2 most difficult county high points in Arizona to ascend.
Posted Aug 22, 2003 5:33 pm

surgentUntitled Comment

surgent

You are correct: Hualapai Peak is the highpoint of Mohave County. I hope to revisit this peak later this year w/ my wife and take better photos.

Of the 15 Arizona county highpoints, arguments can be made about the relative difficulty of their ascents. I agree that Brown's Peak (Maricopa County) is the toughest, with a steep class-3 chute needing to be passed (with rockfall danger). Hualapai isn't nearly as bad, and most people should be able to handle the final section at the top. Yuma county (Signal Peak) has some heinous route-finding and lots and lots and lots of cactus, while Black Mesa (Navajo County) is a long, flat plateau walk that involves crossing down and up through 4 minor canyons and draws. See my website at this link for my reports on the 15 AZ counties.
Posted Aug 23, 2003 11:32 am

PAISHOUntitled Comment

This is a great page? Can Mt. Charleston in Southern Nevada be viewed from the summit?
Posted Mar 11, 2004 4:05 am

surgentUntitled Comment

surgent

Good question.... On a clear day you can see forever but I think Charleston is blocked by some of the ranges that lie in SOuther NV (i.e. the ones that go between I-15 and US-95
Posted Mar 22, 2004 5:35 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks for the info on this one, it was extremely helpful in finding the right way up to the summit. Did any of your group lose a red bandana up there? I started this one after doing Yavapai with Bill and Rick. Started late but enjoyed the area.
Posted Apr 12, 2005 5:07 pm