Hunter Creek Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.22298°N / 106.73546°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route up Bald Knob has fine views of the town of Aspen and the Elk Range. The hardest part of the route is finding the trailhead, but once on route, the route is easy to find and follow.

Bald Knoll ApproachPart of the gentle sections of the slopes of Bald Knoll on January 19 2009. Maroon Bells and the Elk Range are in the background.

Getting There

Getting to the trailhead can be confusing because it is just outside the huge resort town of Aspen. From the intersection of Main Street and Mill Street in Aspen, drive north on Mill Street and across the bridge over the river. Turn left onto Red Mountain Road and follow it for about a mile. Turn right on Hunter Creek Road. Just after 0.2 miles, turn left and to a parking lot marked for the 10th Mountain Division Parking Area.

Hunter CreekHunter Creek not far from the trailhead.

Route Description

From the trailhead you are going to have to walk up the road until it crosses Hunter Creek on a bridge. Follow the trail up Hunter Creek and bear left at the major junction which is marked with a sign for Red Mountain/Lenado. The trail climbs up the south facing and open slope and climbs through a long meadow. After the long meadow, the trail enters the forest gets much steeper the second half of the trip and reaches McNamara Hut after 5.7 miles.

From the hut, Bald Knob is another mile. Head south up the little valley and near its head curve southeast and to the summit of Bald Knob. The summit is very broad and affords good views all around.

The round trip distance to the summit is 13.4 miles and 2750 feet elevation gain. Most people will want to stay in the McNamara Hut and make an overnight trip of it.

Summit of Bald KnobMy father on the broad summit of Bald Knob on January 19 2009.

Essential Gear

Snowshoes or skis and normal winter gear is required. An ice axe and crampons are not required.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bald KnobRoutes