Hurd Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 38
12

Gimli160 - Aug 1, 2022 11:59 am Date Climbed: Jul 31, 2022

Day hike up Hurd peak  Sucess!

Started at 8am, from south lake trailhead. Started approaching the peak after passing long lake. Summited at 1:15pm.

iamrougeux

iamrougeux - Jul 22, 2020 9:16 am Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2020

Afternoon Jaunt  Sucess!

Solo hike, 5hrs car to car. Summited to thunder a little too close to comfort and quickly descended. Went up the North face and down a west chute full of gravel. Linked back up on the trail above Treasure Lakes to hike back.

naura - Jun 16, 2020 11:06 am Date Climbed: Jun 14, 2020

Bishop Pass Trail to North Face  Sucess!

From the outlet of Long Lake, scrambled up enjoyable class 3 to a bench where we skirted under the NE rib. Ascended the solid class 3 left side of the north face. I tagged the true summit to the south along the ridgeline while my friends stopped at the north summit. Fantastic views. Descended the loose but easier class 2 in the center of the north face.

Donno

Donno - Nov 20, 2018 9:45 am Date Climbed: Aug 1, 2018

East Face from Long Lake  Sucess!

C2C with Rahil, Peter and Reza. Tagged the rocky north summit. Nice 3rd class up high.

tbaranski

tbaranski - Aug 27, 2017 8:35 pm Date Climbed: Aug 27, 2017

NE Arete  Sucess!

And again, this time more in the area of the NE Arete. Outstanding climbing.

tbaranski

tbaranski - Aug 13, 2016 5:39 pm Date Climbed: Aug 13, 2016

Good stuff  Sucess!

A very nice class-3 climb up the NE Arete. Reasonably solid rock and many route options. Steep enough to keep things interesting. Descended via the class-2 portion of the North Face (the usual combination of sand and rock).

Diesel

Diesel - Jul 22, 2016 1:32 pm Date Climbed: Jul 21, 2016

From Bishop Pass trail, right before Long Lake, up North gully.  Sucess!

I needed a short hike to finish my 2016 hiking binge. I only had till noon to be back to Bishop. Hurd Peak was on my list for 2016 but mainly to do on a day before doing a long hike. Since plans always change and we have to adapt, Hurd became my cool down hike. I went up from Bishop Pass trail making a right just before Long Lake. It was a little of a hassel to get to the North gully since I didn't find an easier than class 3 way to gain the base of the mountain. I blamed myself for listening to others and taking this route. That until I came down the Treasure Lakes trail and I realized how monstrous difficult that route would have been. If anyone wants to climb Hurd and doesn't hate themselves, from Bishop Pass trail is the way to do it. Besides the North gully, there are many class 2, 3 and 4 ways to go up on the East side. Also, the summit is not visible from South Lake. I got excited 3 times before I hit the real summit. The real summit is all the way to the South. I came down on a North chute right above Treasure Lakes. Not easy to go up that chute, and not easy to make it to the lakes once at the bottom of the chute. PLEASE READ THIS: if you plan on going up to Hurd, please take a container to place the summit log books in. There was a broken glass jar with the log books in it, under a pile of small rocks right on the summit. Someone must have wanted to protect the jar with the rocks, and broke it. I only had a plastic zip-lock bag with me and I used that to put the log books in so they don't get damaged. Total car to car time was almost 5 and a half hours.

Simkin

Simkin - Jun 2, 2016 1:49 pm Date Climbed: Aug 20, 2012

Noticed it while kayaking South Lake  Sucess!

Noticed the peak while kayaking the South Lake, identified it on the map and the next day went climbing. Ascended from Long lake descended towards Treasure lake. Nice views.

jdmorehouse

jdmorehouse - Jul 21, 2015 10:15 am Date Climbed: Jul 20, 2015

North Face  Sucess!

Originally I had planned a climb of Agassiz on this day, but the forecast was 80% chance of rain and thunderstorms. I had climbed Cloudripper the day before with a 60% chance of rain, and ended up being rained on all the way back from Green Lake, so I wanted something with a smaller climbing window, and Hurd fit the bill. The north face is a slab/chimney scramble, a traverse to the right to a gulley marked by black rock. The gully is steep, loose, with some decent rock to climb. It leads to the first of three summits on a narrow summit ridge. Not knowing for sure which was the high point, I climbed all three. Of course, the high point was the third. I descended the east face, which was sandy plunge stepping and some occasional class three down climbs. Very nice descent route. The rain came in just as I was crossing the stream from Long Lake. Although somewhat dwarfed by the surrounding peaks, Hurd is a very nice peak and is a worthy half day effort.

CWessels

CWessels - Jul 18, 2015 6:58 pm Date Climbed: Jul 13, 2015

East Face  Sucess!

Decent scramble, but the best action is found on the south and north sides of the east face, neither of which lead (directly) to the summit. I think it's possible to find a class 2 route all the way to the summit on the east face.

Daria

Daria - Jun 20, 2015 3:37 pm Date Climbed: Jun 17, 2015

Nice peak  Sucess!

Great climb, very enjoyable scramble! Up east face, and down west face.

SierraCJ

SierraCJ - Sep 11, 2014 10:05 am Date Climbed: Sep 10, 2014

East Face  Sucess!

Perfect day to hike up the east face and stand on the summit. Hiked along the ridge to the north and then started heading down.

SkyPilot84

SkyPilot84 - Sep 10, 2013 11:58 pm Date Climbed: Aug 31, 2013

East Slope  Sucess!

A sandy slog up the east slopes.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Aug 19, 2012 3:58 pm Date Climbed: Aug 19, 2012

Up the West Face, down the East Face  Sucess!

We wanted to squeeze one last peak in before headig to LAX to grab our flight back to Colorado Springs. Hurd was a nice, quick outing that fit the bill! Neat views of surrounding peaks and lakes. Chocolate Peak looks especially neat from Hurd. Enjoyed our tour, getting to experience both sides of the peak.

Dave S

Dave S - Aug 8, 2012 3:07 am Date Climbed: May 28, 2012

East Face  Sucess!

Fun scramble!

Blackmouth

Blackmouth - Jun 20, 2012 6:54 pm Date Climbed: Jun 17, 2012

Fathers Day  Sucess!

Climbed the East Face on Fathers Day. Beautiful day with no wind, wore shorts and a t-shirt on the summit. Fished long Lake with my dad and brother after the climb.

96avs01

96avs01 - Jun 10, 2011 4:00 am Date Climbed: Jun 8, 2011

June-uary Snowshoe  Sucess!

Hit the West Face using snowshoes...in June. Great views, empty parking lots, lots of snow.

WML

WML - Nov 8, 2010 1:05 am Date Climbed: Nov 6, 2010

late-season adventure

Took the gear for a walk, got snowed off of the North Rib. Would recommend the Long Lake approach over the Treasure Lakes approach for that route.

boyblue

boyblue - Jul 7, 2010 11:36 pm Date Climbed: Sep 23, 1978

From Long Lake  Sucess!

Not sure about actual date... With two friends from work who'd never been to the High Sierra before. I wanted to take them up what I thought would be an easy summit. Roper's Guide doesn't actually mention the east face, but it looked easy to me. We made it to the summit, but not without some class 3 scrambling that was a bit scary to them. They were courageous, though, and we ended up following the north ridge from the summit (more class 3 in places) just to get a good look back down on South Lake. This peak is an excellent view point.

Secor credits Pete Yamagata (1000peaks) with the FA of this route, but we were there about 13 years prior. It's highly unlikely that even we FA'd this obvious route next to such a popular trail.

birdhead

birdhead - Jun 15, 2010 2:49 pm Date Climbed: Jun 12, 2010

West Face  Sucess!

Hiked up to Treasure Lakes on mostly snow. Climbed a chute on the west face to the ridge and traversed over to the summit.

Viewing: 1-20 of 38
12
Return to 'Hurd Peak' main page