I took this picture on Jan...

I took this picture on Jan...

I took this picture on Jan 4th while flying West from Denver. Description of photo courtesy of SP member Kane, "The Pierre Lakes Basin located in the heart of Colorado's fantastic Elk Range. The sleepy little town of Snowmass is just out of the photo to the left of Mount Daly which is at the bottom left. By looking at lines of those mountains I knew automatically that it was the Elks. Capitol Peak is down to the right and Snowmass Mountain is on the top right. Hagerman and Clarks Peak are also visible."
Reiksgib
on Feb 4, 2004 8:04 pm
Image ID: 40760

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Kane

Kane - Feb 4, 2004 8:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Hell of a shot!

Ive seen that view before on my way to Vegas. Its unforgetable. This shot really shows how the Pierre Lakes Basin is completely surrounded by those sweeping thin ridges that the Elks are famous for.

Reiksgib

Reiksgib - Feb 4, 2004 8:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hell of a shot!

I knew it must have been some fantastic mountain range since the peaks were so close to the airplane and they are cut so distinctly I figured someone out there could figure out where it was. I'm going to attempt to label them. From your description I think I can manage, but do you know where I can find a good topo map of the area to be sure I get it right. Thanks!



Looks like I might have to plan a trip here someday. Maybe this summer!



I have bunch of other CO shots from the air. I'll see if I can link them to summit post to see if anyone can ID some more CO mtns for me.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2