Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.82820°N / 113.9189°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 28, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here

CaverSpencer had set up a geo-event, and I just couldn’t pass this opportunity up. I have read some trip reports and with the 40+ miles of dirt roads, two stream crossings, and steep hike, I didn’t want to take my car.

We left Ogden for Wendover at 7pm. We drove down highway 93, then to Gold Hill. Traveling on the Pony Express Road, we arrived at Granite Creek Road, and camp at 11:00pm. We found a good spot after the ‘first creek crossing’ and after we had backed Shphilby’s Exterra in, CaverSpencer showed up and said they had a large camp down the road a bit.(The dirt roads are easily accessible with a passenger car but I would't get too close to the 'first stream crossing')

We followed him down, and set up camp with him and Rick_W, LifeLuvr, Buster (Life’s four-legged friend, and MadsJim. We set up camp and crashed, eagerly anticipating a successful summit bid in the morning.

We got ready and left at 6 the next morning, leaving Rick_W behind so he could explore the area and visit Blue Lake. We took Caver’s Montero up to the parking lot and started our journey. The Deep Creek Range is desolate, “south of Wendover, and north of nowhere” , but the trail is great! Large granite boulders kept watch over us as we followed the stream up to the meadow at the saddle.

We stopped here to find a geocache, and not only did we find the cache, LifeLuvr spotted an elk that hadn’t made the winter, but had been food for some critters. It was still in the late stages of velvet. Maybe the winter? Maybe a lion?

There isn’t much of a trail after the meadow, but you can see the peak. It still looks far off. The trail behind us was steep, but this is going to be even steeper. Picking our way past more granite, we arrived at a spot where we had a straight shot to the peak, and a fantastic view. The meadow didn’t seem that far away. The peak is within our reach!

There is now a faint switchbacks up to the trail. Nearing the summit, I could see the cairn. I got out my phone, and started taking video of me making the summit. When I got home, you could tell how worn out and out of breath I was… It is definitely a steep hike.

We took a much-needed rest and had lunch up at the top. MadsJim broke out an “I Love Ibapah” shirt and we all passed it around and took pictures.

The way back was rough for me, I was beyond tired. Once we were back down to the meadow, I got my wind back, and was able to pick my speed up again. We made it back down to the trailhead at 6pm, and after a radio call to Rick_W we all chilled. Rick had some cold water, Pepsi, and Beer- a great reward for finishing another county highpoint.
It was even my favorite beer!


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ibapah Peak (UT)Trip Reports