Imbabura Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 42
Encalomer

Encalomer - Aug 8, 2022 12:11 am

Full report on how to climb the Imbabura  Sucess!

Hi guys!
In December 2021 we climbed the Imbabura, Fuya Fuya, Cayambe and Chimborazo mountains. Here I am sharing with you a full documentary with plenty of information on how we organised our trip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyTMxvOKRiM&t=976s
Take care and good luck with your expedition!

Jowzynkyn

Jowzynkyn - Dec 7, 2021 2:43 pm Date Climbed: Dec 1, 2021

Muddy Hell, Flowery Heaven  Sucess!

10 hrs C2C, the moorlands were brutal after a heavy rainstorm, I slipped over 40 times on my ass! The rock portion and the flowers up above 13,600 feet were gorgeous! Warning: the knife edge is sketch, and it got so foggy up there I nearly descended the north face, which looks WAY more dangerous. Luckily, pulled myself out with a compass, so come prepared for poor visibility!

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Feb 25, 2019 9:13 am Date Climbed: Feb 16, 2019

Birthday hike!  Sucess!

Steep but very rewarding hike, i join hiking group from Quito organized by Kuntur, some really nice people. Great vies of Cayambe volcano.

NatureGirl

NatureGirl - May 27, 2018 9:16 am Date Climbed: Apr 15, 2018

foggy adventure  Sucess!

summited with our trail running club ... beginning very nice then foggy and snow ... made it to the summit ... very nice climb ... hope to repeat soon with better conditions :)

wastedtime6 - Apr 12, 2018 6:14 pm Date Climbed: Apr 8, 2018

Standard Route  Sucess!

Climbed with a friend, took us about 7 hours all told. Great visibility until we got close to the summit. Great acclimatization hike.

Caciquero

Caciquero - Jan 19, 2018 8:56 am Date Climbed: Jun 18, 2017

Lower Summit  Sucess!

2nd hike to lower summit. This is always a long day but very worth it especially if you catch a clear day.

ScottyP

ScottyP - Dec 20, 2014 5:59 pm Date Climbed: Dec 10, 2014

Fun Scramble  Sucess!

Slick trail made this a bit tough.. Great scramble at the top

grunskis - May 25, 2014 5:01 pm Date Climbed: May 21, 2014

Trekkers summit  Sucess!

Climbed with a guide Jose from Casa Aida. Made it to the end of the road in the back of the truck and then climbed in around 3h 20min. Most of the climb we had great weather but just as we reached summit clouds covered the whole mountain. On the way back it started to rain...

damgaard

damgaard - May 4, 2013 11:12 am Date Climbed: Apr 4, 2013

"Hiking" summit  Sucess!

Climbed the peak as warm up for Cayambe and Cotopaxi on a trip organized by Campus Trekking. Made it to 3.450 in the bus and hiked from there. Partly clouded but OK weather. Reached the "hiking" peak at 4.578 m in 5 hours and stayed there for an hour or so.

flow

flow - Jan 11, 2013 4:01 am Date Climbed: Dec 10, 2012

Imbabura, up to 4.260m

Normal route (east) from ~3.340m.
Turned around because of fog, rain and wind.
Very muddy...

jm141302

jm141302 - Oct 15, 2012 10:58 am Date Climbed: Oct 14, 2012

Standard La Esperanza route  Sucess!

Nice day to be in the mountains. Some very brief scrambling on wet rock between the two summits. It rained, drizzled, and snowed off and on with very little wind. The lack of wind kept it relatively warm. I only needed a t-shirt, light fleece, and rain jacket all day. Cloudy most of the time, but we briefly got to see Laguna de San Pablo and Otovalo while hiking the ridge back from the higher summit.

Arnie777

Arnie777 - May 21, 2012 1:10 pm Date Climbed: Nov 26, 2011

Imbabura Normal Route  Sucess!

Great climb, Amazing weather. We started a little late but were acclimitized very well so we could climb very quickly. There were no clouds all day long, wich was quite special. Also it was very hot that day. Amazing views of the nearby mountains of Fuya Fuya and Cotacachi. Summited the fals and the real summit by walking over the rigde. Great day trip done from Otavalo.

Socorro

Socorro - Oct 15, 2011 3:14 pm Date Climbed: Oct 13, 2011

To the crater rim

A lot of snow on the mountain, especially around the crater rim. It made the climbing section extra sketchy. We picked around for quite a while looking for the safest way up but couldn´t find a place we felt comfortable trying. No precipitation, just a lot of drifting clouds. Views came and went lightning fast. Really gorgeous though! We´ll be back.

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Aug 8, 2011 7:59 pm Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2011

Perfect day!  Sucess!

Daniella and I summited Imbabura with great weather. A bit windy, though. Awesome climb. Great to be up there the two of us.
We camped a night at the TH and started the climb at first light. Can't wait to hit more summits together!

cookedfish

cookedfish - Feb 11, 2011 3:38 pm Date Climbed: Oct 31, 2010

Good hike

Stayed at Casa Aida the night before, good place and pretty cheap. We started early the next morning, but got turned around in some pasture. After wandering through the Páramo, we finally found the trail and met a guide who was out for the day with his son and a friend. They graciously let us tag along and showed us the route through the gathering clouds. We reached the first summit easily enough, but by that time one could hardly see several yards ahead, so we left the crater rim to be done another day.

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Dec 14, 2010 7:31 pm Date Climbed: Dec 14, 2010

Fast ascent to the true summit!  Sucess!

Climbed with Rob (HOL). Fast ascent. Got to the touristic summit at 10:30 am and to the True summit (4,610 m) at 11:15 am followed by two american guys.

Very nice climb. The rock was in perfect conditions all the way up to both summits. Very solid and dry.

rgg

rgg - Dec 14, 2010 7:01 pm Date Climbed: Dec 14, 2010

Normal route  Sucess!

Climbed with Boriss today. Started just after 7 and got up the mountain real fast, without taking any breaks, to beat potential thunderstorms, which are happening unseasonally often in Ecuador at the moment.
Eventually, the storm didn´t materialize, but as I´m writing this from Otavalo, it´s raining.

starybaran - Jul 23, 2010 3:03 pm Date Climbed: Jul 18, 2010

Normal route  Sucess!

Took a from Ibarra to Chirihuasi at 7:00. To refugio it´s about an half an hour of walk. From there hours to the summit(4609), and two back. Nice walk, bit of a climb, some dangerous looking places, but technically easy.

il.rocciatore

il.rocciatore - Apr 5, 2010 7:29 am

Route Climbed: Standard Route Date Climbed: february 2010  Sucess!

Although well acclimatised, it is a long trip starting from La Esperanza. Little to no visibility at the summit. We were alone on the mountain the entire day. Great atmosphere!

ncst

ncst - Feb 17, 2010 3:47 pm Date Climbed: Feb 14, 2010

Day hike from Otavalo  Sucess!

I took the bus at 07am from Otavalo to Ibarra then to La Esperanza, then the 4 dollar ride taxi to Cashaloma at 3346m where the is a map of the trail and a house saying 'refugio' although not operational. It took me two hours in all to get here. Got to the first summit in three hours. Did the rim in the clouds (45min) but as I got to the real summit it opened up and I had great views. I didn't find that rim dangerous at all. The first and last five meters might be a bit scary to some yes. Went for a coffee at casa Aida on the way back. Rooms are seven dollars per person there, nice place to stay.

Viewing: 1-20 of 42
Return to 'Imbabura' main page