Indian Peak (Pahvant)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.67866°N / 112.32848°W
Additional Information County: Millard
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9154 ft / 2790 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Indian Peak is the second highest peak in the southern portion of the Pahvant Mountains that sits about 1 mile west of its higher neighbor, Joseph Peak. There is no trail to the summit but plenty of cattle and game trails allow for minimal bushwhacking up the eastern slopes. The summit offers great views of the Pahvant Mountains, Tushar Mountains, and the basin and range country of western Utah. 

Getting There

From the small town of Joseph, take East Main Street west. It turns into Highway 118, then Forest Road 110 (Rockwood Road) west of I-70. Continue straight on this road for about 10 miles from I-70. The dirt road is fairly well-maintained as should be passable to most vehicles. About 0.6 miles past Joseph Peak, on the west side of a flat with a great view of the Tushar Mtns, is a side-route of the Paiute Trail. Take a right onto this road, which will definitely require high-clearance. Drive about 0.5 miles to the road's end.  

Sunset Silhouette

Sunset Silhouette

Route

From the end of the dirt road, pass through the narrowed gate that permits ATVs smaller than 50". Walk down the road to the saddle on the eastern side of the peak. When the road curves north, veer uphill through the brush via cattle trails. Ascend the slope moving west taking the path of least resistance. There are 2 false summits to prepare mentally as you work your way up the vegetated eastern slope.

Round-trip Distance: 1.32 miles
Round-trip Elevation Gain: 700 feet 
No Wrong Answer

No Wrong Answer

Red Tape

The peak is in the Fish Lake National Forest. Rules and regulations can be found by clicking the link.

When to Climb

Year-round is possible but snowshoes and maybe a snowmobile would be needed in the winter. 

Camping

There are many primitive campsites in the area but no developed campgrounds unless you go into one of the nearby towns.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pahvant MountainsMountains & Rocks