Indiana Dunes National Park Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Sep 2, 2008 9:10 am - Voted 10/10

About National Parks

Arthur--There is still a national park designation, and there are only 58 so designated. I know that here in Oklahoma there was a movement in the recent past to upgrade the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve to a national park, both to provide it additional protection, and additional funding. You can read about the different NPS units here in their FAQs:

http://www.nps.gov/legacy/nomenclature.html

Indiana Dunes Lakeshore seems to be within the expanded purview of SPV2, even though it doesn't have much in the way of summits. I personally would draw the line at something like the Washington Monument, which, while administered by the NPS and while having a very distinct high point, would seem to be a stretch for SP--even V2! :-) --mark d.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Sep 2, 2008 7:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: About National Parks

Right, and I agree about what should be excluded. The "label" is valuable for status, and people care -- I could bore you with the story of Theodore Roosevelt NP on this one.

As keeper of the US National Parks list, you can draw whatever lines you like. By the way, do you know about this one? It's a definite "summit" in a national military park. Kennesaw Mountain, which I've climbed, is another example of a climbable battlefield. I'm sure there are more.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Sep 3, 2008 8:34 am - Voted 10/10

Re: About National Parks

A while back you suggested that I might start a list for other NPS entities and it's been on the back of my mind. I'm okay with folks attaching such entities to the national park list for now and, once I finally do get such a list going -- unless you chose to do it :-) -- I will transfer all of those pages over to the new list. Actually, letting folks add them to the national park list will make assembling that second list easier. Have a good one, Arthur! --mark d.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Mar 1, 2019 2:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Park designation has been changed

Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore has been officially changed to Indiana Dunes National PARK...!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Indiana Dunes National Park' main page