Augie MedinaRe: Another excellent page

Augie Medina

I always appreciate your comments. Muchas gracias.

Augie
Posted Feb 9, 2007 4:05 am

theronmoonAwesome

theronmoon

I agree with TacoDelRio! Awesome work! Thanks!
Posted Feb 9, 2007 3:50 am

Augie MedinaRe: Awesome

Augie Medina

Thanks very much for reading and commenting on the page.
Cheers,

Augie
Posted Feb 9, 2007 4:06 am

Bob Burdcoords off

Bob Burd

The coords are for somewhere in Arizona(!)
Posted Feb 9, 2007 5:06 pm

Augie MedinaRe: coords off

Augie Medina

Bob,

I don't right now have the coordinates for the California peak. I know the coordinates on the page are in Arizona, but every time I edit/delete them, they keep coming back by default. Of course, once I get the correct ones the problem will be solved.
Posted Feb 9, 2007 5:59 pm

lcarreauGreetings from

lcarreau

the desert. I'm noticing the vegatation is a bit different in the Castle Canyon area. Looks like it's getting plenty of water.
Where is the water coming from, a natural spring or something?
Similiar to the natural springs due west of Las Vegas in the Spring Mountains, right? Great page! Lots of Poison Oak? - Larry
Posted Mar 6, 2008 5:26 pm

Augie MedinaRe: Greetings from

Augie Medina

Larry,

A creek runs right down the canyon. Plenty of poison oak always near the creeks in the San Gabriels. Thanks for your comment.

Augie
Posted Mar 6, 2008 6:16 pm

Bubba SuessCoords, yet again.

Bubba Suess

I really am not trying to be a pain in the butt on this. I have been working on correcting the pages with stray coordinates for awhile now. I have been studying the map and following your directions on this page, trying to isolate which peak you are referring to and matching the lat and long. On the USGS topo, there is a peak precisely where you have described it, but it is marked as Muir Peak. It has the same elevation as the peak mentioned on this page. Could this be the same peak? If not, can you clarify which peak is Inspiration, and I can supply the correct coords. Again, I hope I am not too annoying here! Thanks!
Posted Jan 22, 2011 3:16 pm

Augie MedinaRe: Coords, yet again.

Augie Medina

Not all Bubba. I'm grateful that you're taking it upon yourself to do this. The USGS topo you refer to (1995 Mt. Wilson)in fact has mislabeled the subject of my page as Muir Peak (the official Muir Peak is somewhere to the SW of Inspiration Peak). I explained this in the first paragraph of my text. So on that topo what is called Muir is actually Inspiration. That would be great if can supply to correct coordinates. Thanks.

Augie
Posted Jan 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Bubba SuessRe: Coords, yet again.

Bubba Suess

I am an idiot. It would help if I read the whole page, rather than skimming to what I thought was important. My mistake. The correct coordinates are:

Lat: 34*13.347 N
Long: 118*06.675 W
Posted Jan 22, 2011 4:23 pm

Augie MedinaRe: Coords, yet again.

Augie Medina

No problem. Thanks again.
Posted Jan 22, 2011 8:05 pm

BobD3In 1968-69

back when I was about 15, the only noted landmark in this vicinity was Inspiration Point. There was no Mt. Muir or Inspiration Peak. Also, halfway up the Mt. Wilson trail was an
obscure bump called Lookout Point. (elevation 3297, I believe)
Anyone remember that?
Posted Jan 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Augie MedinaRe: In 1968-69

Augie Medina

Could Lookout Point be the helipad just off the trail?
Posted Jan 21, 2013 8:29 pm

BobD3Re: In 1968-69

I've never seen the helipad, (haven't been there since '08).
I remember it being slightly east of the old halfway hotel site that burned down many years ago, maybe a quarter mile or so. We bushwacked to Lookout Point once back then. There was still some debris on the summit if I remember right. I tried again in '08 but couldn't seem to find it. Lots of heavy foliage in the area makes the route finding abit challenging.
Posted Jan 22, 2013 10:22 am

BobD3Re: In 1968-69

Augie,
I was just up there this week and didn't realize that little clearing was the helipad. To answer your question, no it's not. There's an overgrown, abandoned use trail that leads southeast from Orchard Camp to Lookout Point, (elev. 3297' on the USGS topos) although I couldn't find it. Evidently one guy did and put a register on the "summit" in 2009-10. I'm going back again soon to give it another shot.
Posted Apr 19, 2014 1:43 pm