Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 19, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Started assent at around 10 p.m. and obtained the the summit at about 1 a.m. Started out warm but was very windy and cold by the time we got to the top. Even in the dark you can get a feel for how big the 40 mile desert is far below. The Stillwater Range isn't very wide so we could look right down into the valley on both sides of the range. A first the trip began on a jeep trail and it was easy going. The road to begin to steepen but nothing to serious. However, the jeep road ends at a bunch a willows and that is wear the real fun begins. First there was traveling through the willows which were overgrowing the trail. As soon as the willows are cleared the trip goes up. The further up the mountain the steeper it got. Using rough figures from the gpx info on distance and elevation the degree of climb was about 68. Doing the trail, which wasn't really a trail at his point, at night meant we could never tell how far we were from the ridge. Up was the name of the game. Once on the ridge the wind kicked up and there was some areas with snow. It wasn't long before climbing steep up again but this was relatively short before hitting a saddle just below the summit. From the saddle its a quick jaunt to the summit and fantastic views. Down was fun. Very steep but with the aid of poles made good time without incident. The regester doesn't seem to go years anymore. In fact someone signed it just days before we climbed the mountain.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Job Peak (NV)Trip Reports