Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.67717°N / 112.30549°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9325 ft / 2842 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Joseph Peak is the highest of a cluster of 9,000-foot peaks in the southern portion of the Pahvant Mountains in Central Utah. It offers great views of the Northern Pahvant, Sevier Plateau, and Tushar Mountains. Wildlife are abundant in the area.
Southern Slope Wildflowers
Southern Slope Wildflowers

Getting There

From the small town of Joseph, take East Main Street west. It turns into Highway 118, then Forest Road 110 (Rockwood Road) west of I-70. Continue straight on this road for about 9 miles from I-70. The dirt road is fairly well-maintained as should be passable to most vehicles.  

Route

The two routes below are fairly comparable. 

Joseph Peak Road - 0.76 miles; 421 feet of elevation gain. There is a locked gate passable by foot 200 yards up the road. The dirt road becomes faint after this. 

South slope - 0.42 miles. There is some bushwhacking; either sage or oak so choose your adventure.
Routes of Joseph Peak
Routes of Joseph Peak

Red Tape

The peak is in Fish Lake National Forest but there are private land parcels in the area. There is a locked gate on Joseph Peak that is passable on foot, which is connected to a barbed-wire fence that extends east to the south slope. There are no signs to indicate trespassing.

When to Climb

Year-round.

Camping

There are many primitive campsites in the area but no developed campgrounds unless you go into one of the nearby towns.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pahvant MountainsMountains & Rocks