Jungle Trail #3

Jungle Trail #3

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 4.47400°N / 101.40130°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The word trail should be loosely used and keep in mind that this is considered to be a rather strenuous route. Mud and slick slopes add to the adventure, especially after rains.

It is possible that this is the easiest route to the summit of Gunung Beremban, but it still has steep and strenuous sections. It’s about 5-6 kms to the summit.

Climbing Gunung BerembanA typical section of Jungle Trail #3 up Gunung Berembum.

Getting There

The first destinations in the Cameron Highlands to reach are Tanah Rata and Brinchang. Since this is a popular tourist area, even though the town are small, direct busses link both towns to places such as Kuala Lumpur and even one nightly bus from Singapore (we took a direct bus from Singapore).

Several bus options are on the website below:

Bus Information

Ipoh is the nearest large city in the region and is served by many bus companies as well as an airport. There are four daily busses (Kita Omnibus) from Ipoh to Tanah Rata between 8 am and 6 pm. Finding a bus out of the Cameron Highlands is always easy since every hotel in Tanah Rata can either sell you a bus ticket or call the bus company for you. Out of the two towns in the area, Tanah Rata is supposed to be a better choice to stay than Brinchang, though both towns seem rather nice.

Once in Tanah Rata, there are several trailheads available for climbing Gunung Beremban. Make sure to buy a local map from any of the hotels in Tanah Rata. The Lonely Planet has an acceptable map as well. The best map seems to be the Cameron Highlands Discover Map and it cost less than $1 (3R), at least in December 2010.

This trailhead is at the Arcadia Bungalow just southeast of the golf course between Tanah Rata and Brinchang. We took a taxi from Tanah Rata to this trailhead. In December 2010 it cost 10 Ringgits/$3 for the taxi ride.

Cameron Highlands MapTrail #3 is the route described on this page.

Route Description

The trail begins at the Arcadia Bungalow and climbs to the summit of Gunung Barambum. Look for the sign marking the trail. The trail has several steep sections, especially near the summit. Plan on a strenuous two and a half to three hour one way ascent for the average climber.

There is a very steep gorge to cross near the beginning of the trail, which may be the crux of the route.

About 1/4 of the way up the mountain, the trail reaches a junction with Trail #2. Stay right. The next junction with Trail #5 may or may not be marked. Stay left. (There seems to be some confusion as some signs say "Trail 6" as of 2010).

The route steepens near the top where there are two more junctions just beyond. Either return the same way or take a different trail down.

Prepare to get soaked and muddy on this route, but it sure is a fun climb. There isn't much of a view from the summit due to forest cover, but the hike is well worth it and the scenery is nice.

Muddy sectionOne of the muddy sections of the route to Gunung Beremban.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed. A trekking pole comes in very handy as well.

Leaf insectA giant leaf insect in the Cameron Highlands.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.