JohnMcPikeGreat page

JohnMcPike

and great pictures. I attached an album of mine of Waipio Valley if that's alright. Your pics of the valley have a unique perspective to them.
Posted Jun 16, 2008 12:11 am

Don NelsenRe: Great page

Don Nelsen

Thanks John, - that's a perfect addition to the page and great information and photos.
Posted Jun 16, 2008 2:09 am

surgentOutstanding!

surgent

I am still coming off the high of our July 2006 Big Island trip. My wife and I drove all over the island, including a drive up to the Kohala Coast and the town of Hawi, then down the higher road that crosses this peak's west flank. And naturally, I wondered about hiking this peak! Well, I probably won;t be going back real soon but a fellow can dream, can't he?
Posted Jun 16, 2008 10:47 am

Don NelsenRe: Outstanding!

Don Nelsen

Thanks for the comment and the votes, Scott. Hope you can get back soon and enjoy this amazing place - If I could afford it, I'd be there half the year and the other half back in the Pacific NW. My current goal is to bag the top 20 Hawaiian prominences but I only hope I live long enough!

Don
Posted Jun 18, 2008 12:31 am

surgentRe: Outstanding!

surgent

The Hawaiian peaks are amazing and rough little customers in many instances as you well know. I enjoy your pages immensely. Have you had any luck with Kamakou (sp?), the highpoint of Molokai Island? Another one on Molokai is Olokui. On the map it looks like sheer cliffs all around. Be safe and keep up the good work!
Posted Jun 19, 2008 3:12 pm

Don NelsenRe: Outstanding!

Don Nelsen

Hi Scott,

Sorry - I just now saw your reply so I apologize for the delay. I will be going back to Molokai in about a year and I will tackle Kamakou and maybe even Olokui. From what I could see these two beasts can be done with enough guts and perseverance. It's just a matter of how much mud and bushwhack one can deal with! The good news about HI is that there are no mosquitoes above about 4K'.(!) If you can put a trip together, I'd be interested in a joint effort.- Misery loves company, I always say.
Posted Jul 1, 2008 11:30 pm

txmountaineerTotally Off-Topic

txmountaineer

Did you get any good pictures of the "new" Halemaumau vent? ;-)
Posted Jun 16, 2008 11:32 am

Don NelsenRe: Totally Off-Topic

Don Nelsen

I got some pics during the day and it was pretty neat but you couldn't see the glow of the lava then. I went back after sundown and it was amazing to see - the steam and gasses were bellowing out at high speed and brilliantly lit from below. Pics aren't worth posting though 'cause my little digital wouldn't focus in the low light. You can only get as close as the Jagger museum overlook, about 1.2 miles from the new vent.
Posted Jun 16, 2008 8:20 pm

txmountaineerRe: Totally Off-Topic

txmountaineer

So is Chain of Craters road completely closed, then?
Posted Jun 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Don NelsenRe: Totally Off-Topic

Don Nelsen

Yep. It's blockaded at the Jagger Museum so everything past that is completely off limits. Some of the trails are open, such as the ones at Kilauea Iki, but you can't get near the Halema'uma'u vent at all. They have also closed the jungle trail that enters the east side of the park and accesses Pu'u O'o. I'll be going back as soon as the eruption calms down enough and they open it up again. Might be awhile, though!
Posted Jun 17, 2008 9:35 pm

KlenkeAdd to Big Island Peaks List

Klenke

I notice this peak has not been attached as a child to that list. Maybe you'd like to add it.
Posted Feb 1, 2010 12:58 am