Kelso Dunes Comments

Viewing: 1-7 of 7

KathyW - Feb 27, 2006 3:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Should dunes be in the Mountain/Rock Category?

I really don't think the Kelso Dunes are a mountain and that they should just be included in the Mojave Preserve area. Maybe just a section on them instead of their own page. I gave the page a low vote because I think they don't belong in this category, but that's just my opinion.

tarol

tarol - Feb 27, 2006 10:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Should dunes be in the Mountain/Rock Category?

I debated that myself, but they are some of the oldest and biggest and highest dunes in the west and the highest one is listed as a peak or summit on most lists and other people's reports. If you visit them you will see the highest dune does stand out from the others... it's not like the dunes in Death Valley, for instance, where it would be hard to say which was the tallest. Here is one report that discusses at some length the highest peak in the dunefield:

http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/kelsod.htm

Also, the name of the USGS Quad for this area is Kelso Dunes.

RyanS

RyanS - Oct 20, 2006 2:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Should dunes be in the Mountain/Rock Category?

This is an excellent page! However I tend to agree with Wingding that this should be an "Area/Range" page, and not a "Mountain/Rock" page. I don't, however, feel it's necessary to vote low to let you know about my opinion :)

tarol

tarol - Feb 28, 2006 12:20 am - Hasn't voted

Re: High Dunes

Thanks, I also found the high point of Kelso Dunes was well worth the trudge it takes to get up there!

Here's the page for High Dune, Great Sand Dunes National Park, CO

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/175141/high-dune.html

Sounds like I need to head there next :)

tarol

tarol - Dec 8, 2006 11:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: High Dunes

Read your High Dune page and thought it was great. Thanks for your vote on mine!

surgent

surgent - Apr 5, 2006 9:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Good page!

Maybe the Dunes aren't mountains, but they have that distinct shape. Think of them as soft mountains! We hiked there in March 2005 - we literally threw ourselves down the steep north face and step-skiied down the slopes. Tons of fun. Very 'rumbly' place!

Tracy

Tracy - Feb 11, 2007 1:01 am - Hasn't voted

Warning for those looking to shortcut from Mitchell Caverns to Kelso Dunes via Foshay Pass

Maps of Mojave National Preserve show a short cut route that is a powerline/gas pipeline road that starts from near the junction of Providence Mountains State Park Road and Black Canyon Road. Just over the other side of Foshay Pass, the road forks; the right fork turns into Vulcan Mine Road and the left fork, which is a more direct route to Kelso Dunes, follows the gas pipeline road.

The section of road east of Foshay Pass can be reasonably traversed in a high clearance 2-wheel drive vehicle. On the west side, stick to the right fork which is Vulcan Mine Road; if you take the more direct left fork, you will find yourself crossing many deep washes; several of which are too steep for most 2-wheel drive vehicles to climb up and out of along the dirt road that traverses these washes.

In addition, using this shortcut route east to west is easier than west to east. One might not make it over the last stretch of road just west of the pass, as it is quite steep.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Kelso Dunes' main page