Kern Peak Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.30800°N / 118.287°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See "Getting There" section of the Kern Peak main page.

Route Description


For a maintained trail, the Kern Peak summit trail can be frustratingly vague because of the shifting sand. Even the topographic map describes the trail as “Location Approximate.”

From Tunnel Guard Station head south, walking around the west side of Red Hill. Just after reaching the saddle south of Red Hill at 9,050 feet, the trail forks. Look carefully for the fork because it is easy to miss and end up at Ramshaw Meadows. Take the trail heading south (right) eventually reaching Kern Peak Stringer. Continue up Kern Peak Stringer and climb up a shoulder of Kern Peak. Along the way there are some good views of Kern Peak. The trail follows the shoulder then crosses the peak’s north slope and climbs to the summit. There are ruins of an old fire lookout station on the summit.

Essential Gear


None required.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kern PeakRoutes