Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 36.25313°N / 59.61182°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering, Aid Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 3937 ft / 1200 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Khalaj region was located next (south) to Mashhad city - the capital of Khorasan Razavi province in northeastern of Iran.

Khalaj region is known for its natural park called "Haft Hoz" which is a popular tourist excursion and also for its rocks which is the best climbing sites near to Mashhad.

KatibeKatibeh

There are some routes of sport climbing , aid climbing , bouldering and toprope (up to 50m.). The routes' grade is different from 5.9 up to 5.11.
Names of some climbing routes : "Sang Siyah","Katibeh","Ya Hosein","Rekabkhor Haft Hoz".

Hiking through the area for seeing beautiful valley of Haft Hoz is take about 2 hours.

ChinkalaghChinkalagh

Climbing beautiful granite hill of "Chinkalagh" and treking beside the lake of Torogh dam and its rivers (especially in spring) are favorite activiteis of Mashhad's climbers in holidays.

Getting There

You can take a taxi or bus from Mashhad to Khalaj region and Haft Hoz Natural Park.

Red Tape

There are two military areas next to the Khalaj region that are surrounded by barbed wire . Entering and taking photo from inside those areas is forbidden!

External Links

Oaj Mountain Climbing Club

Camping

Camping is allowed there but because the region is next to the city of Mashhad , climbers does their activities during holidays and fridays so they come back to their houses at night.