King's Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Dundeel

Dundeel - Nov 27, 2018 5:19 pm Date Climbed: Nov 24, 2018

King Me  Sucess!

Fine hike on a good trail. King Peak Rd between North Fork Bear Creek and King Range Rd, had some high clearance rutting.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 14, 2017 2:03 pm Date Climbed: Jul 14, 2017

King Peak  Sucess!

Went up King Peak after hiking the Lost Coast. The coast was windy and cool but the peak was quite hot. I've always wanted to see this area and finally had the opportunity.

CameronGround

CameronGround - Jan 26, 2016 3:20 am Date Climbed: Jan 25, 2016

Sea to Summit  Sucess!

Loop backpack from Black Sands Beach to Big Flat, up Rattlesnake Ridge, down Buck Creek Trail. Truly awesome hike. Wet mid winter conditions amplified the feeling of wilderness and ensured, as far as I could tell, that I was the only one enjoying this gem of an area this weekend. The coast was in perfect form, with big surf and the huge ridges shrouded in constantly churning misty clouds, with the drizzle in the air creating a perfect progressive fading effect on the more distant ridges. The creeks were also flowing with impressive strength given all of the recent rain, and the crossings of Big Creek were sporting. Some rather minimally maintained stretches of trail also added to the fun. Only downside to the weather was a total lack of views from on and near the crest, was hoping for a break somewhere but didn't get it. Guess I'll just have to go back again, shoot.

davidsanger

davidsanger - Jul 4, 2015 4:08 pm Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2015

Sunset hike  Sucess!

Left Lightning Trailhead at 5pm and summited in great light with a view overlooking the fog and the ocean. Looped back thru Maple Camp and drove out in the dark. Left new register.

Had driven up from Bay Area in the morning and stopped to do Cahto and Signal Peaks.

SierraSunrise85

SierraSunrise85 - Jul 16, 2013 6:50 pm Date Climbed: Apr 20, 2013

Via Big Flat/Rattlesnake

Summited on a backpacking trip after hiking down to Big Flat via the Lost Coast trail. Classic climb up the rattlesnake trail to the King's Crest Trail and over, way more rewarding to hike all the way in and up from sea level than the walk-up from lightning trail.

David Naylor

David Naylor - Jul 7, 2013 12:48 am Date Climbed: Jul 5, 2013

Pristine views!  Sucess!

From Lightning trailhead with a few Wildcat hikers. Long, long drive to this trailhead. The views made it worthwhile! I placed a small register at the summit area.

Trawinski

Trawinski - Jun 14, 2011 11:26 am Date Climbed: Mar 15, 2007

Part of a SAR Training  Sucess!

Hiked up here on Day 1 of a 3-day Lost Coast adventure with my SAR team. The hike down to Big Flat was considerably more agonizing than the hike up. My feet hurt just thinking about it.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Jun 13, 2010 2:06 pm Date Climbed: Sep 21, 2007

Lightning Trail  Sucess!

Beginning of a great 5-day trip driving around hiking peaks in northwest corner of the state. Great views from the summit, love the remote feeling.

winemanvan

winemanvan - Mar 17, 2010 12:39 pm Date Climbed: Apr 10, 1979

Hiked While in College  Sucess!

While studying at SFSU, a friend and I hiked The Lost Coast on Spring break. This was at a time when Georgia Pacific and others were still logging the hell out of the area. We hiked in the rain and fog on the trail to Kings Peak where we spent the night. Morning fog burned off revealing incredible views. We hiked with heavy packs down to Big Flat and the black sand beaches. An amazing area.

gman84 - Mar 14, 2010 11:10 pm Date Climbed: Jun 10, 2001

Hiked as a kid

Hiked when i was 16 or 17. Easy hike. Good views to the west. Nice hike, wouldnt go out of my way to do it again though

theAxeman

theAxeman - Jan 3, 2010 11:44 am

Many summits here  Sucess!

I've climbed this hill several times. On a clear day you can see Mt. Shasta and Shastina from King's Peak, over 250 miles away.

If the weather is good the summit platform holds a shelter from the elements, a nice place to spend the night. Easy to lose the trail in the dark descending, I usually just lie down and sleep for the night wherever darkness finds me.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Dec 13, 2009 2:19 pm Date Climbed: Apr 30, 2005

Lightning Trail  Sucess!

Beautiful trail. Foggy on the coast.

BrendanHickey

BrendanHickey - May 20, 2009 7:56 pm Date Climbed: Apr 19, 2009

Saddle Mountain Trailhead  Sucess!

Great hike on a sunny weekend. Light haze over the ocean but beautiful views in all directions. Fun 11 mile RT hike from Saddle Mountain trailhead. Would recommend this TH over Lightning if you want a longer hike and more varied views along the way.

cdog

cdog - Dec 22, 2008 10:34 pm

spring '02 hike  Sucess!

while wrapping up at Humboldt State my girlfriend and I took advantage of being in the neighborhood and made the journey to King's Pk. Had a beautiful spring hike to the summit. Spectacular views of the Lost Coast down below. A couple years later I fought a wildland fire on the east flank of the mountain, which brought back the memories.

mlarkin2002 - May 5, 2008 11:26 pm Date Climbed: May 3, 2008

Dayhike  Sucess!

Lightning trail. Arrived at the summit 5 minutes after sunset, still great views. Nearly ran out of gas on the way back - note: the road from Ettersburg is in far better shape than the road from Shelter cove (at least in 5/2008).

colinr

colinr - Jul 17, 2007 11:12 pm Date Climbed: Jul 16, 2007

Lightening Trailhead after Lost Coast Trail  Sucess!

I couldn't resist the side trip up to King's Peak on my way home from backpacking the Lost Coast trail with my buddy Morgan and Yellow Lab Dylan. The Lightening trail was a pleasure to jog up and down after lugging a backpack around on sand and uneven ground 25 miles over a few days. A scenic shaded trail through the forest with nice views from the top. The drive in and out took longer than the hike.

rhyang

rhyang - Nov 15, 2006 8:39 pm

Lost Coast, May 2001  Sucess!

4-day group backpack trip from Saddle Mountain trailhead to the peak, then down to beach at Big Flat, along beach to Shipman Creek, finally back via Buck Creek. Heavy rain the last day and a half, but fantastic scenery. Great to encounter the different ecosystems from the peak down to the beach and back again.

climbwild

climbwild - Apr 15, 2006 6:08 pm

Solo trip

Started late, summitted in the dark, lost the trail on the way down and found the trailhead with a compass and headlamp.

Next morning, went up again for the view, ran headlong into a bear and cussed the bastard out until he ran down the mountain. Whoever said bears can't move fast down a hill is full of shit. Absolutely beautiful and warm at the end of an unusually long dry spell. Fell asleep for an hour on the little wooden platform on the summit.

See photos of the trip on my King's Peak page on climbwild.net/

cmc56789

cmc56789 - Mar 23, 2005 4:38 pm

Route Climbed: Sea and Summit loop from Shelter Cove. Date Climbed: March 21, 2005  Sucess!

I camped on the beach the first night, and then headed up the Buck Creek Trail to King's peak. It rained most of the time. The top was very rainy and windy. Since it was about sundown, I attempted to camp under the shelter near the summit. This resulted in my tent getting water in it, and thus soaking my sleeping bag. After this development, I decided to hike through the cold, rainy, and very windy night down the Rattlesnake Ridge Trail through what remained of a burnt forest. Daylight came about as I got to Big Flat. Had fun dodging the waves on the way back towards Shelter Cove. A few times I wasn't successful, but by that point I didn't really care, since everything I had was soaked through already. This looks like it is probably a beautiful place when it is not raining and windy. It would have also been a lot more pleasant if I was able to camp a second and third night. I hope to go back. I saw a total of about 3 or 4 minutes of sunlight the whole time, and it was while I was putting my gear back in my truck.

Diggler

Diggler - May 27, 2003 9:38 am

Route Climbed: Lost Coast Trail from Black Sands Beach to Rattlesnake Ridge Date Climbed: 25 May, 2003  Sucess!

Started out Sunday morning from Big Flat @ 10.32. After a few stream crossings, seemingly endless switchbacks, much unnecessary elevation loss (and obligatory regain), and missing the trail once, I finally attained the summit @ 15.16. I passed a couple en route, as well as 2 people from Oakland/Berkeley (one of which I'd recognized from the climbing gym!). While it was foggy most of the way (which I'd say should be anticipated for this part of the coastline), it did clear up sufficiently to allow ocean views, views of the mountains to the E, and even Shelter Cove briefly- beautiful! Hanging out at the summit, taking it all in, and just chilling (actually more like warming from the sun, and drying out wet boots, socks, and sweat-soaked T-shirt), I departed the summit @ 16.23, stumbling back to the Rattlesnake RIdge TH @ 20.28.

Viewing: 1-20 of 21
12
Return to 'King's Peak' main page