Kings Peak Comments

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Great page, Bob. I found a website that you might want to link to on your camping section as it has more detailed info on the Henrys Fork Campground:

www.utah.com/adventures/hike/kings_peak.htm

-Brian
Posted Apr 6, 2002 6:34 pm

GroundSharkUntitled Comment

GroundShark

Hey gang,

I believe they must have updated their site, because the link has changed. What worked for me was:

~Matthew James
Posted Jan 22, 2004 4:26 pm

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Thanks Matthew - I changed the link.

Bob
Posted Jan 22, 2004 11:39 pm

Paul BurkholderUntitled Comment

Paul Burkholder

I used this page as the only source for directions to the trailhead. No problem at all! Thanks, Paul B.
Posted Jul 8, 2002 8:19 am

phillinleyUntitled Comment

phillinley

the page needs a route description to get to the summit.
Posted Nov 19, 2002 9:39 pm

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

It's a fair criticism. However there is a reason for no route description. The mountain page is designed for describing the mountain in rather general terms. The site designers realized that the maintainer would not be able to describe all the routes for their own mountains, so they allowed anyone to add routes to existing mountains. This is a good design IMHO, but it does allow for a mountain page to have no routes at all. I don't feel very comfortable writing route descriptions, so on most of my submissions I left that for others to do, and on many of my mountains this has been done. Each route can be evaluated (with voting) on its own merit, so routes are independent of the main page in that regard. If everyone submitted route information as separate routes instead of placing it on the main page, it would be easier for others to locate that information. For these reasons, I actually prefer that route information not be in any of the sections of the main page, although many other members seem to disagree. Interestingly, your submissions provide a perfect example of what I'm talking about. In your Dents Du Midi submission you put route information into the "Getting There" section. But in your Eagle Mountain page it's in the "Overvew" section. I suggest that you move the route descriptions to new route submissions and pick up some additional points while you're at it! :-)

Having said that, however, Kings Peak is probably one mountain for which I could actually write the primary route, so maybe I'll do just that.

Bob
Posted Nov 20, 2002 6:53 pm

mountaingazelleUntitled Comment

mountaingazelle

phillinley,

There are 6 different route pages to choose from on the Kings Peak page.

Can't get any better than that. Check them out, I think you will like them.
Posted Aug 1, 2005 6:46 pm

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Indeed, thanks to Scott Patterson. That guy is truly a writing machine - incredible. I had to quit submitting stuff because I seem to have such limited writing energy. Thanks mg! -Bob
Posted Aug 2, 2005 1:41 am

PopoffUntitled Comment

Great page. Good info, photos, and links.
Posted Jan 9, 2003 7:12 am

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Solid page.
Posted Mar 29, 2004 11:49 am

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Highest mountain in an East-West range in the lower 48! Good pix and interesting narrative. Well done
Posted Apr 12, 2004 4:25 pm

William MarlerUntitled Comment

William Marler

Good work, nice page. Cheers William
Posted May 7, 2004 9:25 am

SawtoothSeanUntitled Comment

SawtoothSean

Good info- thanks. On my short list this summer
Posted Jan 13, 2006 6:35 pm

2skinnersUntitled Comment

2skinners

Very good page!!
Posted Jan 16, 2006 8:26 am

Littlebeef2Update Sept 2010

I found lots of mis-info and omitted info in my research. Here's the scoop. There is lots of water before Gunsight. Both ponds (in the valley) and streams crossing the trail including one shortly before Gunsight Pass. Dollar Lake was virtually dry (empty). The "new trail" zig zags up the right side of Gunsight Pass then along the back side of the hump between Gunsight and Anderson. It goes Very High along the cliff. I didn't go on it because I didn't find the trail but it is there. I though it looked scary but lots of people seems to take it. I came from zero altitude so I needed to acclimate more than some folks. There is water is Painters Basin. Lots of it in a stream by Anderson Pass and in ponds that looked clean. You cannot "contour" around the humb b/w Gunsight and Anderson. Its dangerous with huge loose boulders. Either go on the "new" trail or down into Painters Basin. We did Painters and there is a perfectly visible trail right at the bottom that follows straight to Anderson Pass. Yes, its a bit longer but you could camp down there and then summit the next day. I thought it was a perfectly fine route, just not the shortest.
Posted Sep 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Matt LemkePage completely re-made!

Matt Lemke

Hope everyone finds this useful. This is a popular peak and I hope I have done it justice. Feel free to let me know if there is anything that needs to be fixed or added. Much thanks to Bob Bolton for allowing me to adopt it :)
Posted Jan 25, 2014 6:31 pm