Kinsman Mountain, South Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 31
12
richdoug

richdoug - Jun 23, 2023 8:18 am Date Climbed: Jun 22, 2023

Kinsman Ridge Traverse  Sucess!

Kinsman Ridge Traverse - north bound - from Kinsman Notch to end of Cascade Brook Trail at I-93 thence north along the Pemi Trail to my parked car at The Basin parking area.

Spent one night on the mountain at Eliza Brook Campsite in tent on the tent pad provided. The shelter (lean-to) there is near perfect condition

This is a brutal hike with pack on back along the undulating terrain. The hike up S. Kinsman and thence down the Fishing' Jimmy Trail to the AMC Lonesome Lake Hut is particularly difficult and extremely rocky, slick wet, and mud

technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Jul 28, 2014 2:10 am Date Climbed: Jul 27, 2014

A very wet trail  Sucess!

Two hours and twenty five minutes to North Kinsman from the parking lot at the Basin with another twenty eight minutes to tag South Kinsman. Six hours and twelve minutes door to door. The approach trail was wet from a thunderstorm earlier in the day and that made it a pretty nasty trail, especially when I lost it with only a mile to go on the return. I ended up on the wrong side of the creek in a series of quagmires. On the plus side the ridge line itself was a treat to walk on after the approach. No views to speak of; typical day in the Whites- all fogged in.

andrew hemmerling

andrew hemmerling - Aug 22, 2013 10:05 am

rain, rain, rain  Sucess!

A rainy day, misty with no views. Nice to have finished another part of the AT know as the "toughest". Young bull moose surprised me as it nibbled buds 10 feet off trail. It then when out to pose for the crowds on Lonesome Lake.

andrew hemmerling

andrew hemmerling - Aug 13, 2013 6:03 pm Date Climbed: Aug 13, 2013

Lonesome Moose  Sucess!

Crowded at the Lonesome Hut, but rain kept most from the peaks, only 8 people seen from Kinsman Pond Campsite, to both peaks and back. Saw a young bull moose near Lonesome Lake, 10 feet from me! Then it went out into the Lake to pose for all the tourists, beauty day.

joseyinnet

joseyinnet - Aug 12, 2013 11:21 am Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2013

Gorgeous day  Sucess!

Nice easy hike, pretty crowded up until Lonesome Lake, but thinned out after that. Saw some cool saprophytic flowers on the way. Cool, breezy and gorgeous day.

omegaxx

omegaxx - Dec 11, 2012 1:31 pm Date Climbed: Dec 4, 2011

Fishin' Jimmy Trail  Sucess!

Went up to North Kinsman along paths of water ice--not nice! There also wasn't much of a view at the summit.

JRaphaelson

JRaphaelson - Aug 7, 2012 9:09 pm Date Climbed: Aug 7, 2012

Route Climbed: Fishin' Jimmy  Sucess!

Hiked North and South Kinsman along with the Northeast Cannonball and Cannon Mountain. A tough, 13 mile trek with cloudless skies, perfect weather, and great views.

crag

crag - May 18, 2012 4:33 pm Date Climbed: May 12, 2012

via Mt. Kinsman trail  Sucess!

The most difficult part was finding the trailhead. There's no sign or anything. I chose this trail because I figured it would be less used than the ones on the other side of the hill, but the parking area was full. Got kind of a late start so only did the N. peak. Gorgeous day. Good views to the north and east from some lookouts along the ridge crest.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jun 9, 2011 11:14 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 1974

AT hike  Sucess!

I recall the day vividly, since climbed down Kinsman to the highway, thinking we could easily grab a campsite... forgetting it was the weekend of the 4th...

Kristin5berry

Kristin5berry - Feb 10, 2011 5:04 am Date Climbed: Dec 28, 2010

great whiteout  Sucess!

in a blizzard, good times

LDuszer

LDuszer - Oct 5, 2010 1:58 pm Date Climbed: Apr 20, 2010

Amazing Views of Franconia Ridge  Sucess!

I hiked in on the Mt. Kinsman Trail and spent the night at the Kinsman Pond shelter. It was overcast, wet, and cold the first day, so I waited until the next morning to summit the two peaks. I tried to warm up in the shelter which wasn't a problem since my dog was practically lying on top of me inside the tent.

The next day the sky cleared, and there were amazing views of Moosilauke and Franconia ridge from the summit of South Kinsman. I headed back down the way I came.

Most valuable early spring equipment: snowshoes, extra socks, and camp booties. The spring thaw had started in mid-April, so even though there was snow the entire way up, it was wet and I would have post-holed on the entire Mt. Kinsman Trail if I hadn't brought them.

Flanders

Flanders - Oct 4, 2010 9:20 pm Date Climbed: Sep 28, 2010

Cloudy, trudge for peak bagging  Sucess!

2 peaks, no views. Clouds, wind, wet.....typical NE weather.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 4, 2010 2:47 pm Date Climbed: Sep 28, 2010

Lotsa Water  Sucess!

With Flanders. Hiked up to Lonesome Lake from Lafayette Campground, quick break at the hut. Took Fishin' Jimmy Trail from there. Rainy day and the water was really running on the Cascade Brook crossing. Anyone know how they fasten those blocks of wood to the rock without any visible bolt showing? Another break at the new Kinsman Pond Shelter (wow, that is 3 years old already, it looks brand new and in great shape). Could barely see to the other side of the Pond in the rain and wind. Then up to the Kinsman Ridge Trail from there, over the top of North Kinsman without realizing it. On over to South Kinsman and a viewless summit. Then back to South Kinsman. Think I found the true summit, a large pointy rock next to the trail that I tagged. Back down and another quick break at the shelter before back to the hut and another break (mostly to try to dry off as it was not cold this day). Met some thru hikers (both north and southbound)this day. Had dinner in Lincoln in a little place above a local bar (only this place and the McDonald's were open at 7 pm - what is it with this place?) where the portions were freaking HUGE. If I can find out the name, I'll post it, highly recommended.

Alika

Alika - May 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Camp Overnight- Fun!  Sucess!

Cool mountains I did on a camp overnight backpacking trip

TLP

TLP - Jan 5, 2009 11:25 am Date Climbed: Aug 31, 2008

I liked Lonesome Lake  Sucess!

I went to South and North Kinsman by way of the Lonesome Lake trail and Fishin' Jimmy trail. The day started off cloudy, but ended up in sun.

Tahawus

Tahawus - Aug 12, 2008 2:25 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2007

Kinsman Mountain, North and South  Sucess!

Climbed with Cannon and Northeast Cannonball via the Lonesome Lake Trail from Franconia Notch. Great views from both peaks but especially from South Kinsman. Saw a spruce grouse while traversing the ridge between the two peaks.

Chinigo

Chinigo - Jul 14, 2008 7:43 am Date Climbed: Jul 13, 2008

Lonesome Lake - Fishin Jimmy - Kinsman Ridge Route  Sucess!

This was a somewhat warm and humid, partially cloudy and hazy day. Views from both peaks were nice, but not great due to the atmosphere.

jpvt

jpvt - Jun 1, 2008 8:37 pm Date Climbed: May 31, 2008

cloudy & rainy  Sucess!

rain and thick clouds all day, no views from the summit. hiked right over the summit of north kinsman without knowing it, partially wooded summit and the rain had a lot to do with it.

syzygy - May 25, 2008 11:53 pm Date Climbed: Jun 18, 2006

Camp @ Kinsman Pond (mind the water)  Sucess!

Good hiking, nice views.

Up Cascade to Kinsman Pond Trail. Overnight in the Lean-to as the platforms were full. Nice group of people doing other longer through hiking.

Summited via Kinsman Ridge trail. Went down fishing Jimmy, Lonesome Lake and back the Pemi River to the Car.

nartreb

nartreb - Mar 30, 2008 8:56 am Date Climbed: Mar 29, 2008

S Kinsman too  Sucess!

Broke trail from kinsman pond onward. Blazes at or below snow level, lost the trail repeatedly. Stiff wind covered most of my tracks within a couple of hours.

Viewing: 1-20 of 31
12
Return to 'Kinsman Mountain, South Peak' main page