Kleine Laserzwand

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.77027°N / 12.80178°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8425 ft / 2568 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Kleine Laserzwand (2568 m) is located just south of its bigger brother, the Grosse Laserzwand (2614 m). Although located in Austria, it is a typical Dolomites-mountain. On its western side there is a steep rock face, severval hundreds of meters high. On it eastern side, the summit can be gained by walking onto it from a relatively flat area. The Kleine Laserzwand really is not quite an impressive summit. For beautiful views - especially north to the Hohe Tauern, with mountains like Austria´s highest point the Gross Glockner (3798m) and the Grossvenediger (3674m) - one should ascend the Grosse Laserzwand, which is nearby to the north. On the west face, however, there are several rock routes such as the "Egerlander Kante" and the "Bügeleisenkante". These routes are some of the most popular alpine rock climbing classics in the area. Both start on the "Rudl Eller weg" (the high path leading from the Lienzer Dolomitenhütte to the Karlsbader Hütte) and end in the chasm between the Kleine and the Grosse Laserzwand.

Getting There

Getting to the Lienzer Dolomitenhütte: from Lienz, follow the road to Tristach, then the Tristacher See and then the Lienzer Dolomitenhütte. This road soon becomes a toll road. There is free parking near the Lienzer Dolomitenhütte. Alternatively, there is a bus service from Lienz to the Lienzer Dolomitenhütte. More information can be obtained at the tourist office in Lienz. From the east, easy hike and scramble: from the Lienzer Dolomitenhütte, walk up to the Karlsbader Hütte, following the metalled road and path (signposted). Just before reaching the Karslbader Hütte, a well defined path starts on your left, directly before the road crosses a small stream (in dry conditions just a river bed). It ascends steeply at first but quickly levels off. A bit further you can go left or right ("alpenvereinsführer"/alpine guidebook: respectively R612a and R612), both paths join again higher up the mountain. The left option is the fastest but also the most strenuous. Under the Roter Turm, the terrain flattens out a bit and you reach the Laserzwandsattel. The path forks again. Take the left fork (the right fork climbs towards Schmitsattel, the pass between the Roter Turm and the Grosse Laserzwand). A little bit further on, the path forks again. Take the left fork ("alpenvereinsführer"/alpine guidebook: R595) (the right fork ascends to the summit of the Grosse Laserzwand). You are now circumventing a chasm, keeping it to your right. A track descends into the chasm. Ignore this. Keep walking / easy scrambling, more or less maintaining height, until you reach the highest point. From the west, rock climbing: the "Bügeleisenkante" requires rock climbing skills.

Time

Lienzer Dolomitenhütte - Karlsbader Hütte: 2h30m. Karlsbader Hütte - Kleine Laserzwand: 1h. Total: 3h30m.

External Links and Literature

Alpenvereinsführer Lienzer Dolomiten Hubert Peterka, Willi End Bergverlag Rudolf Rother - München ISBN: 3 7633 1243 9 Österreichische Karte - Lienz (179 - BMN 3712) 1:25000

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lienz DolomitesMountains & Rocks