KPT08: pictures from the Swansons' 35th Kings Peak Ski Run

KPT08: pictures from the Swansons' 35th Kings Peak Ski Run

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Skiing

KPT 08

Highlights of this year's (35th annual) 30-odd miler day trip included strong South-Westerly winds blasting the route all the way from Elkhorn Crossing up; thick, firm snow over the creekbed; and unfortunately the demise of a very long tradition of pre-trip dinner gathering at Lotty's in Evanston (it had been remodeled into a sport bar :/ - gotta find a new venue for KPT09).

Also new and amazing for 2008 were Larry Swanson's aerials of the route!

12 of the 22 participants summited this year, including Steve Swanson, 69, the co-founder and co-organizer of the tour.

External Links

The Swanson brothers' TR at Wasatch Mountain Club website

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
vanman798

vanman798 - Apr 1, 2008 4:46 pm - Voted 10/10

A few of Questions

It doesn't look like you skied (skinned) to the peak, so to what point (ie Gunsight pass, or whatever) where you able to ski?

It looks like some folks in the pictures have ice axes, whereas others don't. Where ice axes really needed? I don't see anyone in crampons, so I'm guessing they weren't needed, is that correct?

How long did the ascent take vs. the descent? What was the round trip time (car to car)?

Thanks!

Looks like a great trip, and a marathon challenge!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 2, 2008 8:49 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A few of Questions

Patience, patience! ZeeJay is writing a detailed TR! But basically this year all skiers but one left their skis at the base of Gunsight Pass. Ice axes were primarily useful for those who took high traverse route across Gunsight South Bowl. Ascent times were from 8.5 to 9.5 hours and descent times varied more widely from 4 to almost 9 hours.

vanman798

vanman798 - Apr 2, 2008 11:16 am - Voted 10/10

Re: A few of Questions

Thx, and I look forward to the TR.

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - Apr 5, 2008 3:05 am - Hasn't voted

I missed it!

I was thinking of going on this, but the weather forecast didn't look too promising, so I didn't. But it looks like you had fine weather! (kick myself) I tried to do Gobbler's Knob that day instead, but it got buried in clouds and my partner wasn't in the mood to ski in a whiteout. My consolation is that if I do King's as a backpack with my wife this summer I stand less chance of losing my drive to summit, since I will not have already done so.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 5, 2008 10:30 am - Hasn't voted

Not the last one! Re: I missed it!

:) Well it looks like the ski season at Uinta 13ers is not over yet ... we are looking for more, possibly as early as 4/12

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.