Kremenaros Comments

EricChuThis is interesting!

EricChu

Thanks for posting!
Posted Jan 14, 2010 3:49 pm

SzaniUherkovichHighpoint of Zemplén county

SzaniUherkovich

You may mention, that that this peak has also the "importance" that it was the highpoint of Zemplén county in Hungary between the 11th century and 1920
Posted Sep 15, 2010 9:56 am

LukZemRe: Highpoint of Zemplén county

LukZem

Many thanks for this precious info. Do you know more about this triplex?
Posted Sep 15, 2010 10:20 am

SzaniUherkovichRe: Highpoint of Zemplén county

SzaniUherkovich

No, otherwise I don't know this place - only from old maps. But I plan to visit it once in the future
Posted Sep 15, 2010 10:25 am

LukZemRe: Highpoint of Zemplén county

LukZem

I was there three times (2003, 2004, 2010). In 2003 the situation was bad, because of no EU/Shengen regime. I was heading towards Bieszcazdy NP from Slovak Nova Sedlica, but on the top of Kremenec frontier guards told me, that it is not possible to go directly to Poland from Kremenec and I was advised to follow cca 20 km Slovakia/Poland border section to Ruské pass.
But now it is possible to cross Slovakian/Polish border directly from the top of Kremenec - I asked Polish frontier guards this spring. So you can count with this possibility.
If you are interested in virgin beech forests, I recommend you to visit probably the most beautifull beech-fir primeval forest in the Carpathians - Stuzhytsa (a UNESCO WHS) on the Slovak face of Kremenec (red stripe).
Cheers!
Posted Sep 15, 2010 10:39 am

SzaniUherkovichRe: Highpoint of Zemplén county

SzaniUherkovich

As I see, you love beech forests. This is just 2 km from my house: http://www.summitpost.org/image/606343/Beechwood-with-ramsons.html
Posted Sep 15, 2010 12:36 pm

LukZemRe: Highpoint of Zemplén county

LukZem

Yep, I visited all ten sites inscribed to the UNESCO WHS in 10 different months to capture their immemorial beauty (4 in Slovakia and 6 in Ukraine), so I can compare these best of the last. If you are interested in it, check this album: http://www.summitpost.org/album/630982/Primeval-Beech-Forests-of-the-Carpathians.html
Every beech wood is very precious in Central Europe, where a centuries old practise totally wiped them out. I am extremely looking forward to my October visit of the largest virgin beech forest of Europe - Uholka-Shyrokyi Luh massif in Transcarpathia with incredible area of 10 000 ha and the tallest beech specimens in the world (55m)!!!
Posted Sep 15, 2010 12:54 pm