La Scala

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.13690°N / 9.09890°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike and Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: KSC-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take Route National 193 to Col de Vizzavona. This road is one of the two major highways of the island and runs from Ajaccio in the west to Bastia in the north. On Col de Vizzavona (or a little below to the north) you can find a couple of parking lots since near this pass you can find beautiful cascades the Cascades des Anglais. If theses lots are full drive to the little village of Vizzavona a

Route Description


Altitude gain: 1475m (!!)
Duration: 4h 30min
Difficulty: easy but exposed and climbing patch (II) on top
Trailhead: Vizzavona

Starting from Vizzavona you head northwards (yellow marks, sign Monte d'Oro). You reach a gravel road which you follow for some ten minutes and then (again yellow marks) leve it along a trail to the left. In the following hour you cross this road a couple of time and finally reach the Speloncello Creek which you cross to its northern side. Follow the creek along a winding path to the Bergerie de Pozzatelli, an old farmhouse.

The further ascent follows the crrek to the south of Punta Renosa (2008m) and reaches a wide cirque where the path turn left (southwest) and starts climbing a long and steep couloir. This couloir can see snow up to June and has some climbing passages (I). On its top you reach you reach Epaule de La Junction (Junction Shoulder) where you meet the Muratello Route.

At this junction you head directly north for the summit - first through steep gravel fields, later through some short climbing passages (II). On the top take your time for the views of all the high peaks of Corsica.

Essential Gear


Hiking gear is sufficient. Bring warm clothes for the high and gusty winds of Haut Corse.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.