Laguna de Quilotoa

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 0.86372°N / 78.90873°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 25, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Early in the morning

Estación Latacunga
Wilson, José and I started our day very early (4 am). Our first stop was in Latacunga. We visited the train station that've been recently restored. The Administration of Business Rail (www.efe.gov.ec) is working to meet the objetive of the central goverment and the dream of thousands of ecuadorians who wants to see the train riding the Andes.

On the road to Laguna de Quilotoa

Just minutes before..
A spectacular two-hour bus ride west from Latacunga, rolling green hills and craggy peaks sorround the tiny village of Zumbahua. Zumbahua's true charm lies in its Saturday market, an event which brings indigenous Andeans from across the Cotopaxi region to buy and sell a plethora of goods including produce, meat and livestock.

Laguna de Quilotoa

Laguna de Quilotoa
I only can define in one word my feelings when I saw the Laguna de Quilotoa: astonishment.

Quilotoa is the junction of two kichwa words: Quilo (the shortening of the name of an Inca princess: Quilago) and Toa (Queen).

Quilotoa is a water-filled caldera and the westernmost volcano in the Ecuadorian Andes. The 3 kilometers (2 mi) wide caldera was formed by the collapse of this dacite volcano following a catastrophic eruption about 800 years ago, which produced pyroclastic flows and lahars that reached the Pacific Ocean, and spread an airborne deposit of volcanic ash throughout the northern Andes. The caldera has since accumulated a 250 m (820 ft) deep crater lake, which has a grenish color as a result of dissolved minerals.

It was really exciting the do this hike, because of the beautiful landscapes I found in every step.

Lucas

Lucas
I Met Lucas about almost one year ago in the Teleferico in Quito. He was abandoned, I've never seen a skinny dog like Lucas. I took him to my home and took care of him for about 10 days, but after that Lucas got ill and past away. In loving memory of him, I decided to name Lucas to my little dog I used to carry in my backpack. I'm sure Lucas will be happy to know so beautiful places.

Comments

No comments posted yet.