Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 50.77000°N / 115.19°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 1, 2004
Harsh winds, blowing snow, ice laden rock, is this September or December? Park at the first switchback on the Fortress Road off of Hwy 40. Set your compass to the peak and break into the forest angling left to catch the 2nd drainage for a ride up to tree line. You will cross one flowing drainage, continue to the next drainage which is dry. From the road, you are looking for the left and narrower drainage that takes you above tree line and larches. You will have to ascend several steep rock waterfalls to the right. Once above tree line, I chose to go vertical until I intersected the left hand ridge that led to the summit ridge. With the prevailing wind and snow conditions, this became a precarious route, although when dry I am sure it is more straight forward. Once on the summit ridge, continue south to the highest point and a summit cairn. There was a register. On descent, I chose a narrow snow filled gully just northwest of where I ascended. This was a steep route that I would not attempt any other time of the year. But all snow was fresh and lacking in diversity (no layers), so I took the quick and easy route down, bypassing a few rock patches along the way. I observed an old bull elk carcass when bushwhacking and had a bear cross my ascent tracks (which I discovered on descent). Cheers!

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount LawsonTrip Reports