Looking down Mount Mahler's...

Looking down Mount Mahler's...

Looking down Mount Mahler's east ridge (August 29, 2004).
Andy
on Aug 29, 2004 8:17 pm
Image ID: 67255

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
RyanS

RyanS - Aug 30, 2004 12:40 pm - Voted 10/10

nice ridge

Looks like fun, would you recommend it?

Andy

Andy - Aug 30, 2004 1:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice ridge

If it weren't for the rotten rock I would highly endorse the route. However the rock is pretty rotten in places, which makes it a little scarier than it would otherwise be (Roach advises against it in his RMNP guide). But it's certainly doable and if you're prepared for the 100-ft section of steep, exposed, class 4 on the loose rock it's pretty fun. Besides the tough section the rest is fun class 3 stuff where the loose rock is no big deal.



If you're thinking of visiting the area, and are interested in a really long day, you could lengthen the Tepee-Richthofen-Static loop I did earlier this summer by starting out with Point 11,960 then running the ridge to Mahler then descending the east ridge to the Mahler-Richthofen saddle and going on to Teepee. This might only add 2-3 hours onto the rest of the loop which took me 9.75 hours (but I bet you and Erin would be significantly quicker than me).

RyanS

RyanS - Aug 30, 2004 1:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: nice ridge

I don't think I'll be able to work the Never Summers in this fall, but it's always great to have another potential route for the file. Thanks, Andy!



Btw, where do people get the idea that she and I haul so much ass? :-D We're not all that fast! Some of my best times ever for short spurts include 25 minutes up the last 1000' on Wetterhorn (let's just say the weather was inspiring...) and 50 minutes to climb the 1200' from Cottonwood Lake to Broken Hand. I'm positive there are faster climbers on SP.

Andy

Andy - Aug 31, 2004 12:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice ridge

Regarding your reputation for speed: perhaps this is unfounded. I guess I equate strength with speed. Subconciously my logic must be that in order for you guys to cover the distances you cover in your epic adventures you must be moving quickly. There probably are faster, stronger hikers on SP, but all I know is that you guys are a hell of a lot stronger than me (either that or are capable of suffering a lot more than I care to). ;-)

Viewing: 1-4 of 4