Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.23583°N / 106.14556°W
Additional Information County: Grand
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9852 ft / 3003 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lookout Peak is located in the Rabbit Ears Range in Northwest Colorado and not far south of Parkview Mountain and not far to the north of the Corral Peaks. The peak is un-named on the topographic map, but most locals know it as Lookout Peak or Lookout Mountain and the signs along the trail call it Lookout Point. Whatever the true name, Lookout Peak provides a fine view, but the view to Parkview Mountain to the north is mostly obscured by trees. There are good views in all other directions.

Despite its relatively low elevation, climbing the peak requires a longer hike than most of its neighbors and including its larger neighbors of Parkview Mountain and Corral Peaks. The peak makes a nice early season hike since the north ridge is usually snow free much earlier than the surrounding peaks.

Looking northwestLooking Northwest over the north ridge from near the summit of Lookout Peak.

Getting There

From just west of Granby, turn north on Highway 125 at Windy Gap Reservoir. Drive north on Highway 125 between mile markers 11 and 12 and turn west onto the unpaved, but well graded FR 108, which is labeled from the highway for “King Mountain Ranch”. Follow this road for 2.1 miles to a parking lot on the right side of the road. Park here.

Lower Buffalo CreekThis is the typical scene along Lower Buffalo Creek near the trailhead.

Routes Overview

North Ridge and Buffalo Park Loop Route

Of all the route possibilities, the North Ridge and Buffalo Park Routes are the most well known and since they start at the same trailhead, they can be combined into a nice loop. The north ridge route is mostly dry as early as late May or early June, but the Buffalo Park route is wet and muddy until at least July. The round trip distance for this just over 8 miles and with 2618 feet elevation gain.

Buffalo ParkThis is Buffalo Park.


South Route

The mountain could be climbed from the south and over Searight Mountain as well. Access this route from the big switchback FR 112, but there is no marked trailhead and you have to follow the map carefully. The Elk Mountain Trail (part of which also follows the north ridge route above) is just west of this big switchback and could be used to access Lookout Peak. It is supposed to be a good trail.

Another possible route from the south is to park on FR 112-1A not far south of the big switchback on FR 112 mentioned above. From there, the Elk Mountain trail goes over the top of Searight Mountain and all the way to the area of Lookout Peak. This part of the trail is said to be pretty faint.

If attempting the southern routes, make sure to take a good map and also see the book, Hiking Grand County, Colorado.

Red Tape

No permits are required. The standard routes avoid any private property.

Camping

There are good campsites along the access roads, but make sure to camp on public land. There are some nice campsites along the Buffalo Park route as well.

There are also several campgrounds along Highway 125 not far north of the turnoff to the trailhead.

When to Climb

If using the North Ridge route, it is usually mostly snow free by late May or early June and the season would extend into October. The Buffalo Park Route can be rather wet and muddy before July.

Lookout Peak would make a very safe winter ascent with no avalanche danger, so winter can be a good time to climb as well. The peak has easy access year round. Use caution during the hunting season.

HaystackHaystack Mountain as viewed from the summit of Lookout Peak in June.

Mountain Conditions

For current trail and snow conditions, more information, and access issues contact:

Sulphur Ranger District
9 Ten Mile Drive
Granby, CO 80446
970-887-4100

CLICK HERE FOR AREA WEATHER FORECAST

Below is the climate summary for nearby Grand Lake 1 NW at 8600 feet elevation. These are all averages, so expect more variation, but this will give you a good idea about the climate at higher elevations in the area. *National Weather Service Data 1907-2008.

MONTHAVE HIGHAVE LOWREC HIGHREC LOWAVE PRECIP (in)
JAN31253-431.63
FEB35456-411.39
MAR411167-361.41
APR501974-211.81
MAY60278241.72
JUN703389161.48
JUL763892212.02
AUG743792182.08
SEP68308971.57
OCT572282-81.18
NOV411268-281.21
DEC32455-351.57



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Rabbit Ears RangeMountains & Rocks