Lost Arrow Tip

Lost Arrow Tip

Shirley sunbathing on the summit of Lost Arrow Spire following our climb of Lost Arrow Tip route and watching me sweat on the final jummar section back up to the rim. Ropes are fluttering in the afternoon breeze (June 6, 2004).
rpc
on Jun 7, 2004 7:29 pm
Image Type(s): Aid Climbing
Image ID: 55926

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Diggler

Diggler - Jun 7, 2004 8:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome shot

lucky bastard- I envy you!! You shoulda let me know you were headed down this way. Did you go meet up with any other SPers (I know there were others in the Valley)?? Looks like you had fun (looks like a great climb, + a seemingly unforgettable Tyrolean traverse)!!

rpc

rpc - Jun 7, 2004 8:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome shot

Thanks Dirk!

Basically, we were in the Valley VERY briefly - Sat. 5pm at the Curry Village parking lot an then again (same place) on Sunday at about 9pm. Had to get back to Sacramento for a 6am Monday morning flight home :(

Klenke

Klenke - Jun 8, 2004 1:05 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome shot

Explain to me how this is done. Is there a fixed tyrolian traverse set up from the top of the spire to the rim or do you have to rappel down then jumar up the other side using your own rope?

rpc

rpc - Jun 8, 2004 9:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome shot

Hey Paul,

From the rim, you rap down (single strand) c. 250 feet using either two standard ropes tied end to end (passing a knot) or use a long rope (as we did, 300' static line). Then, using another rope you lead up the 2 pitches to the top of the spire. The second is dragging the bottom end of the long fixed rope behind them. Once on top, you pull tight the long rope (fixed to rim), tie in a backup knot, put your jummars on it. Then set up a double rope rap (just standard) from the top of the spire. As you start rapping (down initially), the long fixed line comes tight and instead of rapping back down to the notch, you end up traversing across the void to the wall below the rim. Once there, you jummar up the long fixed line ( you only have to jummar about 80 feet to top of rim and not 250 as you would if you rapped all the way back to the bottom=notch). This is what I've been calling "tension traverse" - not a tyrolean.

Dean

Dean - Jun 7, 2004 10:48 pm - Voted 10/10

You guys rock !!

Oh well, it is a bad pun but a great pic. You guys always have such fun. Way to go.

rpc

rpc - Jun 8, 2004 12:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: You guys rock !!

Thank you Dean :)

Viewing: 1-6 of 6