MoapaPkmountain mahogany?

MoapaPk

"Mountain mahogany" is a common shrub at ~7000-9000' in central NV. Is that plant also on Mahogany Mountain?

mountain mahogany0

mountain mahogany1

mountain mahogany2
Posted Apr 1, 2008 8:39 pm

DeanRe: mountain mahogany?

I think the third link may have the answer to the mountains name. The guy I hiked with was a forester (from the northwest) but he only knows northwest trees, you know, sitka spruce, douglas fir, those kind of trees. Other than a few aspenshe wasn't familiar with the flora we saw on this mountain. Thanks for taking the time to check that out.
Posted Apr 1, 2008 8:55 pm

lcarreauDean,

lcarreau

Good collaboration and coordination !!! I remember seeing Mountain Mohogany on the south side of Lowe Peak in the Oquirrhs. My brother and I were well above 7.000'. I still remember those other trees from Washington - (ie.) Doug fir, Red Cedar and Western Hemlock. Eastern Washington has the Larch.

Thanks for the memories, Dean, and please keep em comin' !!!
Posted Apr 1, 2008 11:53 pm

imontopvery nice page

imontop

As usual Dean, you come up with an original. This mountain has always intrigued me, and I wondered if there was a trail up it. Great pictures too!
Posted Apr 5, 2008 1:15 am

vanman798Warning...

vanman798

In the shadow of Timp this mountain doesn't look like much, and even though it's not a dangerous hike/climb, it isn't a walk in the park either. May 17, 2008 we walked at a steady pace, and the round trip took us about seven hours via the SE ridge. Some of the bush whacking is annoying! Be prepared to scramble up the lose rock when you leave the grove creek trail, and to ski down it on the return trip. The Grove Creek Canyon is amazing!
Posted May 18, 2008 11:41 pm

DeanRe: Warning...

I went up Grove Creek trail again for the 4th time this year and as you said, Grove Creek Canyon is amazing. My goal yesterday was to get to the top of G mountain and that little project turned into a ten mile effort. However, the time was well spent as the meadows and everything else up there is green and beautiful. I wasn't aware of the Grove Creek Spring and it was flowing extremely well.

Congrat's on your recent climb of the Cold Fusion Colouir.
Posted Jun 10, 2008 11:32 am

tmtn93Great Page

tmtn93

Looks like an interesting mountain to climb, but do you know what the stats are?? like, how much elevation gain, and how long it is??
Posted Jun 9, 2010 5:45 pm